Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help, bet BSOD in normal, can only boot safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyCripple

CrazyCripple

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hello, I was getting alerts from my antivirus program, that it was blocking some trojan horse from 91.212.226.180, can't recal the exact name. But it was happening for two days, with intervals of 5-15minutes, between blocks.
I desided to look into it, and tried some malware removal software, and had to reboot, after reboot i get bsod in normal mode with the problem 0x00000024. Altho i can boot to safe mode, and do things from there. The malware removing programs have to restart after scaning, to delete threats, but on restart it automatically boots to normal mode and gets bsod again. And everything that was scheuduled for deletion stays where it was.
I would like to get some guidance from you guys, because i dont know what to do anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

boot into safe mode with networking, and run malware bytes. Here's a link:

MalwareBytes

Once you load it, run the program, but before you scan, click the update tab and download any updates. Then scan away.

Once you find and remove any viruses, it will make u reboot. When you reboot, reboot to safe mode again, then run chkdsk, which will again for you to reboot/

Click Start, and then Run.
In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
chkdsk /r
hit y to schedule the checkdisk, then reboot once it takes you back to a command prompt.

#3 CrazyCripple

CrazyCripple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

Screwed up bad with automatic recovery, tried to recover or rewrite ntfs boot or something like that. At the time it apeared to be logical, since interwebs says that 0x024 is ntfs related problem.
The BAD of that screw up is that none of the safe modes work.
Somehow managed to restore with instalation CD, skipping a whole bunch of files from i386 (my cd apparently is damaged)
But the good news, now i seem to be able to boot normally, and did the check.

There were 24 infections, some were deleted (choose the quick scan), and maybe 6 were scheuduled for deletion after restart. Then it restarted, and I did the check disk thing. (It was way faster and consisted only of 3 stages compared to chkdsk that win setup did, that was 5 stages and took ages.)

So the end point, the computer seems to work somewhat. What should i do next to ensure the system is clean?

#4 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:14 AM

i would suggest you make sure that you have done your chkdsk /r just to be sure of your hard drive.

Run a thorough scan with malwarebytes after running an update on it.

Run a deep scan with your resident antivirus, or if you don't have one, get one. I recommend avast, but there's other good ones too. Make sure to not run 2 resident antivirus programs though. If you want to use this, uninstall your old one first. Be sure to have something in place and updated though, either way.

You can also do an online scan to make yourself feel better. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If all these show no results, then you can feel pretty good that the evil is gone. Always make sure to have a resident antivirus though, with current subscription, and have it set to automatically update itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users