Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 whoisthatwhoisthat

whoisthatwhoisthat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

Here we go. It all started yesterday I started noticing that when I would search for something on bing and click on any of the search results that it would redirect me to some Bulls&^* page. So I immediately thought adware or spyware or something. I downloaded spybot search and destroy and ran it. It made me restart my computer and when I did I got a notice that windows automatic update was turned off. So I turned it back on and it downloaded new updates and when I started installing them there were FORTY new updates. Anyways I let them install and had to restart again and when I did... Boom.. BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume. I've ran chkdsk /r and fixboot and all that jazz to no avail. I really can't see my harddrive being dead from all this but anyways.. any ideas? I'm not positive on the size of the drive but I think it's 250G. It is a Dell Ispiron 530S running XP Professional. and I MIGHT have used 40 gigs worth of the drive. Any ideas would be much appreciated! sorry so long, just wanted to get it all out there. Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum... i'm new. :thumbsup:

Edited by whoisthatwhoisthat, 07 January 2010 - 03:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

What happens if you boot today?

Louis

#3 whoisthatwhoisthat

whoisthatwhoisthat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

Uh.. its still the same.. when windows tries to start it goes blue screen and says unmountable boot volume

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

Normally, chkdsk /r will remedy the Unmountable Boot Volume error.

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/topics/...amp;~mode=popup

If it did not, I would suspect that either the NTFS file system or the hard drive itself has problems. Which typically (IMO) means a clean install.

I would try running the hard drive manufacturer's respective diagnostic on the drive, after retrieving any valued data files from the problem hard drive.

The diagnostic should confirm the status of the drive.

Louis

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

Try these steps http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

I'm not trying to be a wise acre, but if your system will not boot how did you run chkdsk /r and fixboot and what happened when you ran chkdsk /r and fixboot?

Command not found, no problems found, etc.

What other jazz did you try (so we don't suggest things you have already done).

Is XP installed on your C drive, do you have a D drive and when you ran these commands did you run them against the boot drive?

Edited by joseibarra, 12 January 2010 - 10:25 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 whoisthatwhoisthat

whoisthatwhoisthat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

not that the system wont boot... windows will not startup. chkdsk and fixboot were done when i booted from the windows xp cd (via xp's recovery console or whatever that thing is)... No Problems found...XP is on the C drive...and yes.

Edited by whoisthatwhoisthat, 14 January 2010 - 09:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users