Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe will not run. Not even from Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gharden2911

gharden2911

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

I'm working on a system that has Windows XP Home Editon SP1. The computer boots fine and allows the user to login. However the desktop will not show. Normally I would start Task Manager and Run Explorer.exe from the New Task option but it won't run from there either. It flashes for about a second then disappears. Task Manager allows me to run everything else except for Explorer.exe and IExplorer.exe. I have been able to install Malwarebytes and update it. It found several infections and cleaned the system. Ran it again and nothing is found. I've run Combo-Fix and it too cleaned some things. I've googled the problem and found several forums saying to edit the registry and remove the Explorer.exe from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image Files Execution Options however these folder is not there. Others have said that doing this resolves it but I don't have it there to remove. I've tried a repair but keep getting a reg entry point msdart.dll error during the repair. I've tried installing SP2 but get a similiar error. I've tried running System Restore from the command prompt but I get an error there as well. Trying to do all I can before I reformat the drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gharden2911

gharden2911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Any ideas anyone?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

Have you tried SFC.exe?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 gharden2911

gharden2911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

Have you tried SFC.exe?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Yes but no luck.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

What is the exact content of the error message re "reg entry point msdart.dll"?

Louis

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Restore active desktop....item 406?

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users