Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus that won't slow computer drastically??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sean342125

sean342125

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

Anybody have a suggestion for a simple and hopefully free virus protection that doesn't kill desktop performance? I recently bought Norton 360 and installed. After a few weeks I took it off... overall speed of the computer was terrible. Any ideas???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WeRtheBorg

WeRtheBorg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

I have noticed that most anti-virus programs out there do slow down the computer but it is only because of the active monitoring they do. I use AVG and suggest it to many people as being a reliable anti-virus but, even that program has been causing "older systems" to slow down. I think there is no work around for finding a fast performing anti-virus (on older system) because in order to be an affective anti-virus they need to actively monitor your computer in order to protect you. Self knowledge also helps with protection on your computer. I hear from people all the time, "What is the best protection for my computer," To me besides having the right protection software is "Self Knowledge". There is no substitute for knowing the do's and don'ts for web browsing. The admins here have provided a lot of useful information on the "Do's and Don'ts" for browsing. I suggest for people to check out these sites and educate themselves so they know what they are doing wrong. Perhaps I have somewhat strayed from the question...

Getting back on track... the anti-viruses today require more system power so in order to really have an anti-virus work better you need a better system that can support it better. IMO. :thumbsup:
"We are the Borg. Lower you shields and prepare to be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,062 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program or avast! Home Edition Anti-virus if choosing a free one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

I also recommend avast!, another good one is Avira.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

I recommend Comodo CIS. I have been using the Comodo Suite AV for well over a year now and never had a problem and it is very light on my PC with no noticeable slow down at all. I used Avira prior to Comodo and CIS is faster than Avira.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users