Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalled Java... now have 100+ ActiveX/COM Issues when running Crap Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrh2opro

mrh2opro

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

I uninstalled my old versions of Java - took me several tries to do so. Now, when I run Crap Cleaner's Registry Integrity tool, it comes up with well over 100 issues that look like this:

ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2iexp.dll HKCR\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

I select Fix Issues, but it doesn't clean any of them or give an error message. I've seen bits and pieces of Forums that talk about the CLSID being a place where viruses try to hide, but I'm not smart enough to know about that.

I haven't installed the latest version of Java, yet, and won't until I understand what this is all about.

Can anyone provide any advice?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

Many programs do not remove all its remnants in a clean successfully manner so it is not unusual to find traces in the registry. That's nothing to be overly concerned about. While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. In fact, Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend using registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Please download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start.
  • Use the drop down box to choose your language and click Select.
  • Select "Remove Older Versions".
  • Click Yes when asked "This will remove all older versions of the Java JRE...Are you sure you want to proceed?"
  • Click Ok when search and removal of old versions has completed.
  • A notice will appear indicating "Finished searching for all old versions...A logfile has been created...called JavaRa.log...
    JavaRa will now open its logfile.
    "
  • Click Ok and notepad will open with the log results of what was found and removed.
  • View the logfile and close notepad.
  • A copy of JavaRa.log will automatically be saved to your primary hard drive (usually C\:JavaRa.log).
  • Return to JavaRa and click the button for Additonal Tasks.
  • Select these Tasks:
    • Remove Useless JRE Files
    • Remove Startup Entry
    • Remove JavaRa Logfile (optional)
  • Click Go and then Ok when prompted "Finished searching for useless JRE files.
  • Click Ok again when prompted "Finished searching for JRE startup entries.
  • Close the Additional Tasks window, exit JavaRa and reboot your computer.
Then download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)" JRE 6 Update 17.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • From your desktop double-click on jre-6u17-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
-- The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications but it's not necessary.
To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter.
  • Click Ok and reboot your computer.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mrh2opro

mrh2opro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

Perfect! Thanks for the advice and the fix. I ran Crap Cleaner again and the JavaRA had indeed gotten rid of the issues. Have a good day. :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

You're welcome.

#5 Murphy98

Murphy98

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thanks so much for posting a solution to this problem.  CCleaner kept finding:  [InprocServer32\C:\Program Files\Java\bin\jp2iexp.dll].  After following your instructions the problem no longer pops up.  Been trying for 3 days to find the solution/file.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

You're welcome. Glad a four year old topic was still of some use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users