Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

task scheduler engine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 billiards2468

billiards2468

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

hello all! Thanks for reading...
sorry I'm on my phone internet, at work
windows vista sp2 x64 is running task scheduler around midnight I believe.

how can I change its settings or disable it all together?

in services I cannot change it from automatic to manual.

also my anti virus told me that during this task thing google installer became active... Is this normal? The others are task scheduler and performance logs and alerts.oh and windows defender command line utility mpcmdrun.exe and extension clsid verification host: verclsid.exe and reliability analasys metrics calculation executable: racagent.exe

thanks to all helpers
Backup Your Power,
Optimize Your Setup,
Stay Virus Free!

Enjoy Your Computer!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

hi,,,, on vista it is set to make a restore point at midnight every night,,,, there are also other things that are set to run,, mainly when the machine is idle,,, indexing and auto defragger will run when the pc is idle after X amount of time,,, i use these on my pc as this is pretty handy to have and if you start doing anything it stops the auto defrag and the indexing,,,,,, i did stop the midnight restore points though as 1 is made every time the pc boots which is enough for me :huh:
to check out whats tasked to run,,, type "task scheduler" into start menu search box and press enter,,,, for instructions click on the help tab in t/s and select help topics,,,
here is a link to stopping midnight restore points
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/
hope this helps,,

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/mpcmdrun/
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/verclsid/
http://www.fileinspect.com/fileinfo/racagent-exe/

good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 07 January 2010 - 01:45 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 billiards2468

billiards2468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

hi,,,, on vista it is set to make a restore point at midnight every night,,,, there are also other things that are set to run,, mainly when the machine is idle,,, indexing and auto defragger will run when the pc is idle after X amount of time,,, i use these on my pc as this is pretty handy to have and if you start doing anything it stops the auto defrag and the indexing,,,,,, i did stop the midnight restore points though as 1 is made every time the pc boots which is enough for me :huh:
to check out whats tasked to run,,, type "task scheduler" into start menu search box and press enter,,,, for instructions click on the help tab in t/s and select help topics,,,
here is a link to stopping midnight restore points
[url=
hope this helps,,

[url=
[url=
[url=

good luck.

Awesome thanks. But any idea why google installer came up? Was it updating something? Or making sure its proper?
cuz mostly it says google/update/googleupdate.exe (in between where it starts and stops for 4 secons, 2 performance logs come up)

I am not around at midnight so I am curious...

if I had my internet running constantly would I be in harms way come midnight ? How long should the tasks take? Or are they ever running and really at midnight it takes a screenshot then checks them?
I've heard of disabling it but not on vista sp2... Any thoughts?
Backup Your Power,
Optimize Your Setup,
Stay Virus Free!

Enjoy Your Computer!!!

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

hi,,, wondering if you have google tool bar or something like this,,, google desktop ?? take a look in msconfig for anything to do with google thats running on start up of the pc,,, you could have an updator running in the background,,, just uncheck it and reboot,,,
click on start orb>type "msconfig" into search box hit enter> click on start up and look in there for anything to do with google :huh:
hope this is what you mean,,,, you can get rid of most things in the startup,,, apart from any security programs,,, if you dont know what it is then google its name. if you stopped something that you wanted then just go back in and put the check mark back next to it :huh:
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 09 January 2010 - 10:03 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 billiards2468

billiards2468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

thank you...

google updater must have been initiated when I grabbed google chrome not long ago...

I have disabled its entry in the system config.
Backup Your Power,
Optimize Your Setup,
Stay Virus Free!

Enjoy Your Computer!!!

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

thank you...

google updater must have been initiated when I grabbed google chrome not long ago...

I have disabled its entry in the system config.

good news indeed,,,, look around in the startup and see if there are any more you can stop,,,, i usually only have my security running on startup and zonk the rest,,,,,,,,,, i always tend to look in there once a fortnight as well just to see if any new software downloaded has added its self,,,,,,,,,
goo luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 billiards2468

billiards2468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

great advice!

update: I have since rid my startup of most everything and I constantly use ccleaner to clean up shop.

also: my security suite has scanned over 16,000,000 new or changed files and I'm clean.

thanks again!

great advice!

update: I have since rid my startup of most everything and I constantly use ccleaner to clean up shop.

also: my security suite has scanned over 16,000,000 new or changed files and I'm clean.

thanks again!
Backup Your Power,
Optimize Your Setup,
Stay Virus Free!

Enjoy Your Computer!!!

#8 billiards2468

billiards2468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

update: google installer still in list of occurrences during task...

the only thing I have in this realm is google chrome which I guess uses the installer???

more importantly how can I disable anything from happening in my absence beside the task?

sorry I am not very patient lately, lot of unrelated headache

would like to disable all but don't like to compromise pc health.

Thanks again!
Backup Your Power,
Optimize Your Setup,
Stay Virus Free!

Enjoy Your Computer!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users