Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop with no install/recovery disks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 equinecpa

equinecpa

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

I have a laptop that has crashed (see here for Thread).

So I'm going to replace the hard drive. I don't have recovery disks nor an installation disk for windows xp. Is it at all possible to create a recovery disk from the crashed drive? I can recover files from it and place them onto my desktop. I was wondering if I recreated the i386 directory would that possibly work? The logical solution would be to purchase new installation disks but they are not available from gateway for this machine. I can get the computer specific drivers through a support group for the machine.

Or could I possibly borrow a friends windows xp home installation and install it using my license number ( I believe I've read that this may not work on an OEM machine)

Basically I'd like to know what my options are before I buy a new hard drive for my computer and sink more dollars into it....

Thanks

Carolyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 suncross

suncross

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

You should call microsoft and see if they will send you disks. Other than that, I would borrow your friends xp home install (disks), because that will work.

Edited by garmanma, 07 January 2010 - 12:52 PM.
Remove needless quote

#3 flex-it services

flex-it services

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Not sure if Microsoft will help. They are no longer supporting XP. it's possible though.
~~~
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

My answer from the other thread still stands

You do not contact Microsoft.
For a factory-installed OS you go to the computer manufacturer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

I did contact the manufacturer -Gateway. Apparently the M series laptop division was sold to a company that is now bankrupt so there is no obtaining disks there.

If the manufacturer is not an option, is it POSSIBLE a borrowed windows CD will work? I really don't want to spend money on a hard drive only to find I can't get a windows o/s running on it.

Edited by equinecpa, 07 January 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Borrowing the same version...and installing same with a your valid license/key...has always been an option.

Louis

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Dupe deleted, happy fingers :thumbsup:.
Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2010 - 06:28 PM.

#8 equinecpa

equinecpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

Ok from I have gathered I need:

Computer drivers (found site to download them)
XP HOme O/s disk (does it matter which SP is on it??)

Now...in what order do I do install them? O/S or drivers first?

Thanks

#9 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Operating System first, you will have to activate Windows when installed, my advice is to do this by telephone. don't install any drivers untill you have activated Windows as the activation process is tempremental with non original system disk installations.

When you call activation line you will have to type in the 25 diget code. If Windows activation does not flag up your product code (Found on your windows sticker underneath your laptop) as invalid the automated system will issue you with a new 25 numbered code. Be aware that you will need a pen and paper next to you to make a note of this number.

ON the latter side you shouln't need to update many drivers as when you are activates with windows, windows update will do this for you.

Longtooth Pc Solutions

longtooth

#10 ronrumpf

ronrumpf

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

You may find that the OEM disk will not take your license key. Use the key that belongs with the disk. If the system doesn't activate when you’re done, you can call MS and tell them that you replaced the hard drive and since you never received an OS disk you used friends. They will ask for your code and then they will give you a new authorization code. I have reloaded many clients systems that didn't have their CDs with mine...

#11 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

DON'T use the OEM product key.................................. Use your product key that is on your computer, when reactivating a repair installation Microsoft will tally up your computer spec and licence key, if they do not match Microsoft will not activate your install.

In simple terms a licence key (Unless specified) will only activate one operating system on one computer. Once this is done Microsoft gathers information about this particular pc, E.g Make, model, processer type, processer speed, make, model of processer, memory make, speed , size, so on and so forth. This is nothing less than a finger print.

If you use the product key for the disk you have borrowed Microsoft will immediately know that someone else has used this pruduct key on a different computer to the one you are trying to activate it on. However if you use the product key that is on the sticker on your computer Microsoft will merely think that you have reinstalled the OS with the disk that came with your Pc as the product key will match your computer specs.

longtooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users