Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD (cant boot into safe mode)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 suncross

suncross

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

I am having some driver problems which blue screens me out of regular XP. So naturally I go into safemode and uninstall the driver right? Well it won't let me boot into safemode with f8. I am at a loss where, and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

Specs:
Windows XP Home (32bit; I know but I don't have money for 64 xp/vista/7)
4gb ddr2 1066
intel cor2 775

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

Any error messages?

System manufacturer and model?

Why do you think it's a driver problem...and not malware?

Louis

#3 suncross

suncross
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

I can tell you its not malware because I know windows like the back of my hand, and it is a fresh install. The error message (I knew what it meant) was about drivers. However for some reason I am not getting the blue screen anymore. I just logged into my computer and it seems fine (I removed the logitech mouse cd from the drive, and it seemed to work).

I built the computer, and I know the parts to be compatible (I have built a few computers). However the specs I gave you should be enough. The motherboard model is the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo.

I am having a new problem now (well, the problem before I started getting the driver errors). This I have never seen before (or in this case heard), and it is: my mouse making a noise when it moves. It is a strange noise, but it is constant as I move / scroll down internet pages. Anyone know how to fix that? (my mouse is the logitech G5).

edit:

Now I got the crash, this time it was a BAD-POOL-CALLER, but the first message was: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It is either my RAM or the drivers right?

Edited by suncross, 07 January 2010 - 11:02 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Well...there are all sorts of drivers in any Windows install...firewall, AV, Windows itself, hardware, etc.

And...sometimes "RAM issues" are not RAM issues at all, just the scene of the crime, the point where whatever went wrong made its presence felt in the system.

Can you post the exact content of the error message (the main part up to the string of digits in parentheses).

Even better...search your system for any .dmp files and then follow the procedures in Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/.

It would seem that you should have at least two .dmp files now.

Louis

#5 suncross

suncross
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

Ok I think I may know what the problem is. I did a verifier in run, and it linked me to a dell driver. My computer is not a dell, but it was installed using an xp cd that was distributed with a dell... I am not sure how to go about removing those dell drivers.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

If the wrong drivers are installed...then you need to uninstall them, using Device Manager, and then install the correct/appropriate drivers for the system that you have.

I would start with the chipset drivers.

Worth reading, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146280.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users