Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Vista Beta 1 to DVD?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Battletops

Battletops

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

Does anyone know how to install Vista Beta 1 to a DVD so I can keep XP on my hard drive? I have a DVD burner and Windows Vista Beta 1 on DVD but I don't want to lose XP. I think it's possible because I have Linux on a bootable CD and when I load that OS, it doesn't mess with XP. I want to do the same thing with Vista (on a DVD). I have a couple other computers that I can fully install Vista Beta 1 to, if I need to copy some files from the WINDOWS folder of the Vista installation.

Edited by Battletops, 21 August 2005 - 04:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

I do not believe you can run XP/Vista directly from the DVD.

#3 Battletops

Battletops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:36 PM

Well, I just went ahead and bought an external hard drive. Now I have a new problem. I began installing Vista to the external hard drive. When it needed to automatically restart in the middle of the installation, it did but when the computer turned back on, it didn't complete the installation. I had the choice of loading XP from the internal hard drive, loading Longhorn (Vista) from the external hard drive, or booting from the Vista DVD. Loading XP obviously loaded XP. Loading Longhorn just gave me a quick error message and shut down the computer. Loading from the Vista DVD just loaded the screen to install Vista Beta 1 from the beginning. I've tried installing it many times with the same result. What should I do?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

What kind of extrenal hard drive are you using? This is a usb drive?

#5 Battletops

Battletops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:29 PM

It's an external USB Hard Drive. The link below has all the detailed information, but I don't think it's a problem with the hard drive or compatibility. Maxtor 3100

#6 g52ultra

g52ultra

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:13 PM

You want to run Vista on a DVD?

Do you want read write capability? I don't think DVD (even DVDRAM or DVDRW) would be your solution. Vista so far is exclusively NTFS for 32bit systems and based on that, you still need third party software to get Vista to write to DVD. By default Vista will only read write via FAT32. Not a solution.

The bios's in my IBM's will allow you to boot off of a flashcard. I personally witnessed an XP Pro OS (using litePC) system running off of a 4gig CF card, so I know you can do it.

No. To answer your question, there is no cheap way out. Partitioning is really the best way- or pickup a cheap 40gig drive off of Ebay and use it to play.
Anybody know where John Titors's '66 Vette is (or was, or will be)?

#7 Battletops

Battletops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:50 AM

Too late...I already got an external hard drive. Partitioning my computer's hard drive wouldn't help because there wasn't enough room on it anyway. My new problem is with installing Vista. Read my post above.

#8 Gdawg707

Gdawg707

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:41 PM

Use nero burn and copy image file to DVD

#9 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:49 AM

Yes I would say it's your best bet. Save the external hard disk for data storage or picture files --- no good for running an OS. Make an image of your current Windows XP installation and save that to a DVD. Then format C and install Vista beta on it. When you've finished exploring it, get tired of it, or the beta expires, restore the XP image and you've lost nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users