Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you have a bookcase?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bestof

bestof

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

Just got to unpacking the books and realize I NEED more bookcases for my beloved books. Anyone know a good place to buy wood bookcases? And how many of you use bookcase?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:06 AM

i use bookcase.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

I am fortunate enough to have built my own
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

I have several, most of which are old and the shelves are buckled by the weight of the books on them. You can find, if you are on a budget, all sorts that you can put together yourself; better would be to build them yourself with thicker shelves and more support.

The college make-shift of planks and cinder blocks works as well as anything more expensive, and if you paint the blocks and varnish the good wood (you can have the lumber yard cut the planks for you), you have something portable, expandable, and enduring.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

cinder blocks

Discarded milk crates work well also
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 flex-it services

flex-it services

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

Posted Image
~~~
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

I live by the "It's where you need it" rule. various Tech manuals can be found on my desk (under piles of bills, receipts, and pay stubs, it's tax time), books I've read are stacked in a rubbermaid tote to be sent to Mom's, Auto and farm equipment manuals are found in the garage or in the office (it's cold out there), new books, catalogs, and magazines are all stacked on the coffee table. So I don't use a bookshelf anymore (I actually threw out 4 when I last moved)

Posted Image

#8 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:35 AM

If you live anywhere near a charity Thrift Store I would recommend checking them out. I have Salvation Army, Good Will, and a few local charity thrift stores near me and I visit them frequently. Obviously, the stock is unpredictable and changes without notice. Some shops have specialties, like furniture, and are worth getting to know.

Also, you might check Freecycle, but again, it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

I'm a big fan of solid wood -- not so impressed with particle board (it always seems to sag, eventually).

#9 mardek

mardek

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

I like wall-hanging shelves; they're neater. But I've just built a standing one for my mother's upstairs hallway - solid pine, and under 40€ for a bookshelf four metres long.

I always think houses without books look sad and soul-less. Especially the ones in the glossy magazines that have thousands of useless pillows and no books!

#10 Jack520

Jack520

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

Bookcase is very necessary, especially for a long story~~~

#11 BucketHead131

BucketHead131

• Members
  • 20 posts