Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Pop-up Blocker

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

Ever since i installed Windows 7, i have been getting about 3-4 pop-ups daily when i surf the internet.

Back when i was with Windows Xp, i got 3-4 per month!

Not too bad, but still it bugs me. It takes away the focus of what i am trying to acomplish.

So...somehow or something is allowing pop-ups to get through.

Yes..my IE-8 Pop up blocker is active, and i have the recomended (default) security settings.

I am wanting to know who is using a good Windows 7 Compatible pop-up blocker, thats free to use.

I refuse to pay for any sort of software that the Windows OS should be doing for free already.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:46 AM

I never get popups..... weird.

If you are using IE8, and you are sure that the checkbox for the popup blocker is checked, then you may want to verify that there is no malware on your system.

#3 linbybag

linbybag

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

I've been using Firefox as my browser for about a year now and I've never had a single pop-up.

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

Try FireFoxFireFox if you still have pop-ups then you have bigger problems,Tflms

Edited by sleepwalker, 07 January 2010 - 02:10 AM.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:55 AM

I really hate answers like that since they do nothing to address the problem. It is as if I take my car into the shop and they tell me to get a different car. But maybe I really like my car.... Do me a favor; if all one can do is not be helpful and not address the person's problem, then please do not participate. Kthnxby. :thumbsup:

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

I know about Firefox. My wife uses this computer as well, and she is a bit nervous anytime there is something "new" to her.

I will doublecheck my system and IE8 settings.

yes i do agree. If i take my car to the shop, i want it fixed, not to tell me to try something new without finding out what caused my current problem.

Yes i know that i "could" get a new one, if what i got works, why fix it? It just seems to need some simple tweaking.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 07 January 2010 - 03:15 PM.

#7 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

To add, they are only coming up when i use the IE-8

I Remember years ago back in the early days of Windows Xp, i would get attacked with pop-ups so bad that the only way to stop them was to turn off my system by the computer case power button. This was back in 2001/2002.

#8 bobby919

bobby919

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

I scan with malwarebytes about once a week and it helps greatly! just go to www.download.com and search malwarebytes ( all one word) it's a free program and it will only remove whats attacking your computer.

#9 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

I installed Malwarebytes, and ran a quick scan
I am about to start the full scan, and then go to bed and check the results in the morning.

Here is the log file from the quick scan

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3513
Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

1/8/2010 12:41:28 AM
mbam-log-2010-01-08 (00-41-28).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 95044
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 39 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 2
Files Infected: 10

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg1.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg10.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg2.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg3.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg4.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg5.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg6.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg7.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg8.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\AppData\Roaming\PC\faq\images\gimg9.jpg (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#10 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:52 AM

The two main pop-ups that i recall were Ads for Neflix and H&R Block.

I do not recall that this has been happening on my Laptop, since i do not use that as much when i am home.
I use it mainly at college, but i do not surf online that much, i only use it to mainly type papers with MS Word.

#11 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:37 AM

I know about Firefox. My wife uses this computer as well, and she is a bit nervous anytime there is something "new" to her.

I will doublecheck my system and IE8 settings.

yes i do agree. If i take my car to the shop, i want it fixed, not to tell me to try something new without finding out what caused my current problem.

Yes i know that i "could" get a new one, if what i got works, why fix it? It just seems to need some simple tweaking.

You asked for a solution to pop ups FireFox is one of the best,plus it helps not to click on links that promote them, like ads that ask you how many triangles can you count,or your the 100,000th person to visit our page click here to see what you won,besides you can have as many browsers on your PC as you like they all free no strings attached,cheers

#12 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

This might come out the wrong way, but im not that stupid.

I avoid "annoying" websites, and i dont click anything that just sounds too good to be true.

Surfing the interent is like sex, its very temping, the best way to stay safe is by protection and education.

My Full scan turned up nothing. I will be running a full scan weekly, lets see if Malwarebytes "Fixed" my problem.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 08 January 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#13 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

I managed to get a screen shot of one of these pop-ups.
it has a URL on it, zedo.com. Anyone ever heard of this?
They are only popping out OUTSIDE of the IE Window, in a whole window by itself.

Posted Image

#14 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

well Zedo is an Internet based Ad company
http://www.zedo.com/

The give a link to "opt out" from their services

http://www.zedo.com/tools/zedo_optout.cgi

I think i just fixed my problem

#15 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

Well it seems that i have found the problem.

I will keep using Malwarebytes, but i do not know if i want to use it long term.

I have tried several other anti-virus/spyware etc and they kept showing the same "bad" thing week after week, scan after scan. Most of the time it was "harmless" threats.
I never had them find any real or harmful threats, so i got rid of them. at one point i was was running 4 scans every week (at close to 45-60 mins a scan) to only find nothing. I have tried: Spybot, Adware, Super Antispyware, CC cleaner, and a few others i cant think of right now.

I am running Avira Antivirus, and Microsoft Security Essentials (formerly Windows OneCare). I have not had any major problems with just these two programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users