Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just bought an External USB Hard Drive....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

Its a Western Digital MyBook drive http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?grou...120&lang=en and the LED lights seem to flash sometimes. Ive checked their site and it doest say anything on that. Im guessing its ok. Like when the lights on my PC flash a bit since its running.

Anyway while there I read this http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1 and Im kinda confused as to how Im supposed to properly remove it so the files wont corrupt when Im not using it. It says I should click "Safely Remove Hadware" but Im afraid that will unistall it.

It also says I can just turn it off using the power button on back. Is that the way I should go? Ive already stored stuff on it and I dont want it on the whole time or everytime I use my PC. Only when I need to save something. Thanks.

Edited by wildcat2000, 06 January 2010 - 10:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:31 AM

the LED lights seem to flash sometimes

This indicates the drive is being accessed.
Your computer is either reading from the drive, or writing information to it.

It says I should click "Safely Remove Hadware" but Im afraid that will unistall it.

To physically remove the drive from your system, click the Safely Remove Hadware icon.
You will be presented with a pop-up window, listing all external items connected to your computer.
Click the drive letter, that corresponds to the item you want to remove.
When the drive is no longer being accessed by Windows, you'll receive a pop-up notifying you that it is safe to remove the hardware.
Disconnect the drive from the computer.
If you disconnect a drive while it's being accessed, that's when corruption occurs.

It also says I can just turn it off using the power button on back.

Correct.
Hitting the power button will just power down the drive.
When you're ready to use it again, just power it back up, do what you have to do, then power it back down again.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:45 AM

the LED lights seem to flash sometimes

This indicates the drive is being accessed.
Your computer is either reading from the drive, or writing information to it.

It says I should click "Safely Remove Hadware" but Im afraid that will unistall it.

To physically remove the drive from your system, click the Safely Remove Hadware icon.
You will be presented with a pop-up window, listing all external items connected to your computer.
Click the drive letter, that corresponds to the item you want to remove.
When the drive is no longer being accessed by Windows, you'll receive a pop-up notifying you that it is safe to remove the hardware.
Disconnect the drive from the computer.
If you disconnect a drive while it's being accessed, that's when corruption occurs.

It also says I can just turn it off using the power button on back.

Correct.
Hitting the power button will just power down the drive.
When you're ready to use it again, just power it back up, do what you have to do, then power it back down again.

Oh. Well I already removed it for now. I just turned the power off and unplugged it from the wall and USB port. I turned it back on for a second and glanced at the files I had saved and everything seemed ok. I never disconnected it while it was copying files or reading something though . I guess next time Ill use the "Safely Remove Hardware" way instead. Thanks for explaining.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

That's one of my computer offenses. I never got into the habit of hitting the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon when disconnecting my external drives. Never have had a problem yet, but you never know.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:02 PM

I`m terrible as well on using the safely remove. I set all my USB storage drives to Optimize for quick removal under the Policies tab. So far so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users