Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password protected?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:54 PM

I just installed Avast free edition on my computer and ran the first scan. It came up with 157 files it was unable to scan. I think maybe they are "password protected" files, because my old antivirus, Bitdefender was showing 103 "password protected" files a few days ago. I don't know what that means. Do I need to do anything? I took screenshots of the Avast program showing the files, in case they are needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

The files may have been locked and protected so your AV, skipped them.

"Object is locked skipped" or "Access Denied" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are normal. Some files are permanently locked by the operating system or locked by running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. Files that are located in password-protected archives may also be locked or denied access. When the scanner finds such a file, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it shows as skipped" or "Access Denied" in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These skipped detections are seldom malware related so there is no need for concern.

It is also not unusal for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to be suspicious of or encounter problems with some compressed, archived, .cab and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often are resistant to scanning (difficult to read) and they may even be ignored (skipped). This resistance may also result in some scanning engines to stall (hang) on these particular types of files.

If the amount of files not scanned appear to be numerous, you can always try rescanning in "safe mode" which reduces the number of modules requesting files to only the essentials which make your computer functional. This in turn reduces the number of files that may be skipped due to protection by other running programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

Thanks, quietman7, I won't worry about them.

Edited by yellowdog5, 08 January 2010 - 09:43 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

You're welcome.

It a scan turns up other things you are not sure about, don't hesitate to ask.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users