My laptop has been infected with Personal Protector Fake Anitvirus. I'm unable to perform any of the below operations on my computer:
1. My taskmanager has become disabled and I'm not able to enable it.
2. Unable to open any windows, the fake antivirus automatically closes any windows I try to open.
3. Unable to install any new anitivirus software.
4. Unable to update virus definition for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
5. Unable to run ComboFix.
6. I'm unable to start my computer in SAFE mode as it comes up with the blue screen and restarts automatically.
7. I'm able to run SuperAntiSpyware which detects the following items, but is not able to remove any of them even after repeated runs:
Memory Processes: C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINSCENT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Personal Protector
C:\Program Files\Personal Protector\base.wdb
C:\Program Files\Personal Protector\baseadd.wdb
C:\Program Files\Personal Protector\conf.wcf
C:\Program Files\Personal Protector\personalprotector.exe
C:\Program Files\Personal Protector\q
C:\Program Files\Personal Protector\quarant.wdb
C:\Program Files\Personal Protector\queue.wdb
C:\Program Files\Personal Protector\un.exe
I tried the following but nothing seems to work:
Method 1: Change the Task Manager Option through the Run line
Click on Start, Run and type the following command exactly and press Enter
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Method 2: Change Task Manager through a Registry REG file
Click on Start, Run, and type Notepad and press Enter
Copy and paste the information between the dotted lines into Notepad and save it to your desktop as taskmanager.reg
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Double click on the taskmanager.reg file to enter the information into the Windows registry
Please suggest how should I go about removing this from my laptop.
Edited by Swami Venkataraman, 06 January 2010 - 09:53 PM.