Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed XP no dvd.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gregoryd

gregoryd

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

This is a Satellite A100. It's a Canadian A100. There seems to be a difference. Bought new with Vista Home installed. Hard drive died, I replaced it and installed XP Pro. Now the dvd will not play dvds. I fixed the original, ""Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."", problem. Now it says repeatedly, no matter what action I take, all I get is: ""Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.""

I have done everything Billy Gates has suggested I do, and yet I still can't play a dvd.

Here are some specs and details.

Toshiba Satellite A100
Model # PSAANC - VA305C

System info via Everest Home Edition;

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name LAPTOP
User Name Greg

Motherboard
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Celeron M, 1600 MHz (12 x 133)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Calistoga i945GM/PM
System Memory 1013 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (12/25/06)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
Disk Drive Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 (74 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive MATbleepA DVD-RAM UJ-850S
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 76308 MB (66474 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Network
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter (192.168.2.114)

Peripherals
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - USB Universal Host Controller
USB2 Controller Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller
USB Device Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

This is from wmp.

Cannot play DVD video

Windows Media Player cannot play the video portion of the DVD. This can occur for a variety of reasons; however, it typically occurs for one of the following reasons:

Your video card driver is out-of-date.

Your computer is missing a compatible DVD decoder.

Your computer hardware is not powerful enough to play DVDs.

Try one or more of the following.

Play a different DVD to determine if the problem is isolated to this disc. If the problem only occurs with one DVD, the disc might be damaged or defective.

Update the driver for your video card.
To update your video driver do one of the following;

Go to Windows Update. Click Custom, and then in the section Select by Type, install any video card driver updates found under Hardware, Optional.

Visit your computer or video card manufacturer's Web site.

If you are running Windows Vista, verify that your video hardware supports the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). For more information about supported video hardware, see the "Current GPU Guidelines" section on the Links to Manufacturer Information about CPU and Graphics Processor Capabilities Web page.

If your video hardware is not supported, you might need to upgrade your video card. If you do not know what video hardware is installed in your computer, contact your computer manufacturer for assistance.

Verify that you have a compatible DVD decoder (MPEG-2 decoder) installed on your computer. See the following sections for information about how to do this for the version of Windows that you are running.

Windows Vista

If you are running Windows Vista, go to MPEG-2 Codec Pack for Windows Vista to learn how to download a compatible MPEG-2 codec pack.

Note that some DVD decoders that were compatible with Windows XP may not be compatible with Windows Vista.

Thank you in advance.
Greg.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

Scenario is typical of a need to install codecs, IMO.

Using Codecs - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme.../faq/codec.mspx

I encountered this same message sometime when I did a clean install...overcome by downloading/installing one of the K-Lite codec packs.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users