Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Visual Basic Express Edition recovery

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

So I was working on a recent project and I was deleting a few files out of the resources and I guess I must have accidentally deleted 'Form1' however the "last successful build" has all my work precompiled in it. What I was wondering is if their is anyway recover this work so I don't have too start all over. I'm running short on time with this particular project.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

So you're saying that you deleted your source code?

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Yes, but its been compiled and is sitting in my debug folder as an .exe, anyway too reverse the process?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

Couple things:

1. You can recover your source code with Reflector: http://www.red-gate.com/products/reflector/ . I happen to work for a company which makes extensive use of Reflector (except we spend our time breaking it). Reflector will work just fine even on release binaries.
2. Source code recovered with Reflector contains no comments, as it is a reconstruction of your code from the CIL it's compiled down to. Whitespace is likewise normalized.
3. You really should be using some form of Source Control, such as Subversion or Git, if you're doing serious programming work, to prevent these kinds of issues.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Billy3

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 06 January 2010 - 09:43 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

I'm playing around with reflector now, Thank you for the refrence too the program, I'm starting too see some remnants from the program. However I'm not quite sure what I am looking for too find the code... Any ideas where I should be looking in particularly? I'm mostly seeing references too controls for the design form.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 06 January 2010 - 09:50 PM.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

Wow Billy you must be a good reverser for working in Pre-emptive :thumbsup:

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

Nah -- I just do grunt work. Is to be expected when your title is "intern" :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users