Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System boots to manufacturer screen, and freezes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

(Wasn't sure the best forum to put this in.)

The system is a laptop, an Acer Travelmate.

This machine had a recent re-installation of Windows. This morning, with no previous symptoms recorded by user, computer boots to the manufacturer splash screen with "press F2 to enter setup" prompt. The computer is frozen at this point: the boot menu (it's dual-boot with ubuntu) does not appear, and pressing the indicated key to enter the BIOS setup does nothing. User reports no strange beeps on boot, just the usual single one that comes with a power-on. User also reports hearing the hard drive spin up (I forgot to ask if they see the hdd light flashing).

I'm not entirely sure where to begin troubleshooting. I have no beep codes and no error messages. Safe to say it's not a hdd failure, as the computer hasn't passed control to the hard drive yet at that point. I'm concluding that the keyboard isn't the problem, because a keyboard failure/missing would cause a beep code to be heard. Could a laptop system (I'm not that familiar with troubleshooting hardware on a laptop, tbh) freeze at POST if it didn't detect the presence of a keyboard? And would plugging and external keyboard bypass this issue?

What should I be looking for?

EDIT: Moved to a more appropriate forum-MG

Edited by garmanma, 06 January 2010 - 09:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:57 PM

Well...if it doesn't get to the BIOS...I'd say that some hardware item cannot properly be detected.

Sometimes, when a user has USB devices (flash drive, external hard drive) attached and on, XP can become stuck during its inventory of hardware items...so I would check that.

And I would not rule out the hard drive...since the system cannot get to the BIOS screen displaying such.

As for the keyboard...I always thought that Windows will generate an error message if no keyboard is detected.

Louis

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:31 AM

It wouldn't be windows detection that would stop a boot, would it? I thought checking for a keyboard was part of POST, and would cause beep codes?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,578 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hardware detection will certainly stop a boot.

A few days ago, I had a hard drive go out on this system. Initially, the system would lock up during use and...I finally got around to investigating it by removing various hard drives attached (I had four attached), after running chkdsk /r on each of them.

When the bad drive (it was deteriorating constantly) was connected to the system...my situation went from being able to boot and then encountering freezes...to not being able to boot into XP with the drive attached. The system would hang before I could enter the BIOS or logon and I would just get a black screen.

Once I removed the drive, the system booted properly.

The bad drive was not my boot drive.

Louis

#5 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:42 AM

I'd agree with hamluis.
I've had a system fail to boot because of a defective mouse. Not sure where excactly in the process, but it's possible.
From what your describing tho it seems to me there might be more serious concerns than a mouse invovled here like Mobo, heat or something?

#6 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

The user's battery is all bolloxed up and doesn't hold a charge anymore... But that's a different issue. However, you guys are plenty astute. There were a number of USB peripherals plugged into the machine, and it was able to boot without issue after removing them.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,578 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

Nice work, glad you solved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

Seeing is believing. :D
Then trial by error to find the culprit.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users