Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes whenever NVidia Display Adapter is Enabled

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cunnysmythe

Cunnysmythe

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hi there,

First, let me outline my specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory : 1022MB RAM

Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce 8600M GS

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (Downgraded from Vista)

-----

Cutting edge stuff.

Anyway, onto my problem.

I haven't had any problems in over a year. But a few days ago I was playing a game and I Alt-Tabbed out of it to Google something. As I clicked on a Firefox tab, my screen froze, speckled with green dots, and I got a BSOD. Sorry, I didn't get a good look at it.

The next time I ran the game (American McGee's Alice, in case you're interested - I'd been playing it since Saturday with no serious issues), once I loaded my save I got a BSOD almost instantly, citing nv4_disp.dll. My old favourite. Now Windows wouldn't boot at all, unless I went to Safe Mode. The XP loading screen would come up, but it would never get through to the login screen - I'd get a black screen with a blinking cursor, then my machine would restart.

I figured my only recourse was to bugger around with my NVidia drivers in every way possible. I downloaded the newest ones and installed them. No help. So I uninstalled all of them and reinstalled the basic ones that are bundled with the machine.

It worked! Kind of. It would get to the login screen, but after a few seconds I'd get the same old black screen with cursor. I was perfectly able to login, but it would still reach the same result. Seemed like a time issue.

What now? I uninstalled all of the drivers, on the advice of some website somewhere. Perfect! It worked. So I ran the same game again. Opened my save... Save freeze as the very first time - Green dots, but this time no BSOD. Just a restart.

And again Windows won't even reach the login screen. This time I uninstalled again (The drivers having regenerated somehow) but I didn't restart when prompted. Now they tell me that I can't uninstall them because they're required for startup. My mind tells me the next best thing is to disable.

So. Now I can run Windows freely. I've realised that I can do whatever I like with my graphics drivers (I've now used Driver Sweeper to clear away old traces and installed the newest drivers available - 195.62), but as soon as I enable the Display Adapter, I'll get the black screen again. It doesn't seem to matter which version of the drivers I use, enabling the adapter kills my system.

My comp works now, but I'd rather play games again one day, and every time I scroll I get that slow 'repainting' effect that causes headaches and mild blindness, so I figure I should try and and get the display adapter working again.

At some point during all of this, I updated my Chipset drivers (Intel ICH8M - 965M Series) and my Audio drivers (Realtek HD). No effect on anything, but I wasn't expecting much.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Cunny.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

Is this a laptop?

And have you tried playing the game, with graphics card disabled (i.e on onboard graphics) in the BIOS? And for that matter, loading the troublesome SAVE file?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 06 January 2010 - 08:21 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Cunnysmythe

Cunnysmythe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention. It is a laptop, yes. I'm running SP3.

I'm not sure how to disable the graphics card in the BIOS - I didn't see an obvious option for that in any of the BIOS menus. Do you think you could walk me through it?

Edited by Cunnysmythe, 06 January 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

As I clicked on a Firefox tab, my screen froze, speckled with green dots, and I got a BSOD. Sorry, I didn't get a good look at it.

As soon as I saw the "speckled green dots" I figured a hardware problem. Could be due to overheating, could be due to the faulty NVidia graphics chipset on that lappy. You can't disable the card in BIOS.

Document the symptoms, call up the manufacturer, cross your fingers and hope they are willing to cover it under extended warranty. NVidia set aside $130 million to fix their notebook chipset problems, so you might get it fixed for free. So far it seems (to me) HP has been the easiest to deal with on this issue, Dell is a bit tougher. I wish you luck.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Cunnysmythe

Cunnysmythe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

Really? Damn... I think my warranty runs out in a couple of weeks (If not last year) so I'm glad this happened now! I'll make the call tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

You can't disable the card in BIOS.

True, only later did I find out it was a laptop.

@Cunnysmythe

Good luck with replacement. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

Does it have issues with other games/aps as well? This could be an issue that your particular game is having with your card or drivers, in which case the game developers forums might reveal other people having the same issue. If its happening during any other aps or games then you can rule the game code out.

#8 Cunnysmythe

Cunnysmythe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

The game itself isn't really the issue any more - Though I did play it with no problems for a good few days, and the place it crashed was no different from the previous hour. I think that's just where the card happened to die.

I can't even enable the display adapter to play any games that require a 3D card; as soon as I click Enable in CP the system crashes. If it stays disabled, I can use the system fine.

But my gaming for now is restricted to emulators and titles from the early 90s and before. I'd dig into my collection, but I need my CD Drive fixed, too.

Should be having it picked up on Monday. Thanks, everyone!

#9 Cunnysmythe

Cunnysmythe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

The games I've played in DosBox so far are covered in green dots... Yeah, I think this is the right decision. Thanks again, guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users