Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update on not being able to get Microsoft Updates

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Beverlee1014

Beverlee1014

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:21 PM

I installed XP Home SP 2 from a CD a long time ago and have never been able to download updates, even though I have my computer set to receive automatic updates. When I try to download updates manually, I get the message "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." which just goes on and on and nothing happens. Any ideas about what I might do to remedy this problem? Would it be okay to reinstall SP 2 again over the original installation?

Thanks,

Beverlee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 craigjrose

craigjrose

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:27 PM

If you do not have a valid copy of Microsoft software, you can not update.

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:44 PM

Not necessarily true.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:58 PM

Hello Beverlee1014 and welcome to BC.

Go to the Windows Update Troubleshooter and look for:

General troubleshooting for scripting errors

Scan for updates freezes or stops at 0%

Click on them and follow the instructions. May or may not help but let us know.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

Are you sure SP 2 is installed?

Download Everest Home Edition (freeware) and run it.

It will give you complete descriptions of the software and hardware installed on your computer, in fact, it will tell you which updates and hotfixes are installed and if there was a problem installing them.

It will also give you your Microsoft key number.

Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by higlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

Download here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

#6 Beverlee1014

Beverlee1014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:10 AM

I ordered the SP 2 CD from Microsoft, so it jolly well better be valid! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them and let you know what happens.
Beverlee

#7 Beverlee1014

Beverlee1014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

Okay, I tried Everest Home Edition, which says I have XP Home SP2, so it's installed. That answers that question.
Beverlee

#8 Beverlee1014

Beverlee1014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:43 AM

I've tried the Windows Update troubleshooter, followed all their instructions, ad still can't get updates.

Beverlee

#9 Beverlee1014

Beverlee1014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

Update on not being able to get Microsoft Updates after installing XP SP2 from CD.

I want to thank everyone who offered suggestions and let you know Iíve finally succeeded in getting the updates. First I reinstalled SP 2 over the original. That didnít solve the problem. Next I uninstalled SP 2 and then turned off every spyware, virus detector, and firewall program. Turned off everything that I thought might interfere with Microsoft updates.

Went to Microsoft Update page and it downloaded updates, and then downloaded SP 2 and all the subsequent updates. Now everything is up-to-date. After I had done all this I finally received a long helpful email with the procedure for solving my update problem from Microsoft support, whom I had emailed with my problem several days earlier.

Final note: Iím now wondering whether if I had turned off everything before trying to get updates I might not have had a problem to begin with. Any ideas on this?
Thanks again for your suggestions. Iím posting this in case it might help someone else who has been experiencing a similar problem with Microsoft updates.

Beverlee

(moderator edit: moved this new post to the end of the original thread. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 21 August 2005 - 03:09 PM.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 04:32 PM

One thing that could cause it not to be able to use the Windows Update is if you had Active X either shut off or too restricted.

#11 Beverlee1014

Beverlee1014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:51 AM

I'm posting my email from Windows support in case it may be of use to anyone else experiencing a similar problem:

"Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Online Support. My name is Clyde and I will be assisting you with this service request.

According to your case log, I understand that after installing SP2, when you go to Windows update site to scan for updates, Internet Explorer keeps prompting you with the message "Checking for latest version of windows update software". We will work together to resolve this specific issue through the course of the case. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience you've experienced with Windows Update. The most common cause of this behavior is that certain components, which are responsible for Windows Update, are corrupted or missing from the system.

To troubleshoot this problem, letís try the following steps:

Step 1: Restart the computer in Safe Mode

================================

1. Reboot your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will look and perform differently than in normal mode.

Step 2: Reset Internet settings.

==================

1. Click Start ->Run, type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.

2. Click on the Security tab and click the Default Level button.

3. Click on the Connections tab and click the "LAN Settings" button; uncheck all of the options.

4. Click the Advanced tab.

5. Check the "Use HTTP 1.1" box.

6. Check the "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" box.

Step 3: Remove the corrupted files

==================

1. Click Start-> Search.

2. Select "All files and folders", and then search for the following files:

iuengine.dll

wuapi.dll

wuauclt.exe

wuauclt1.exe

wuaucpl.cpl

wuaueng.dll

wucltui.dll

wups.dll

wuauserv.dll

wuweb.dll

wuau.adm

wuident.txt

wuredir.xml

wusetup.inf

Tip: when searching for multiple files in Windows, you may enter the file name continuously like iuengine.dll; wuapi.dll; wuauclt.exe in the search field. This will speed up the whole process.

If you find any of the above files, please right click to rename this file to <filename.old> (such as wuapi.old). Please understand that we may not find all the files listed above. If so, it is normal, and please continue to search for the rest of the files.

After finishing the above steps, restart the computer in normal mode and try to access the Windows Update site again.

If the issue persists, please collect WindowsUpdate.log for my research.

1. Click Start->Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log". Please be aware that there may be another file named "Windows Update.log". I am requesting the file without a space in the middle of the name.

Please try the above steps on your side and provide me with the results at your earliest convenience. If anything in my email is unclear or you need further help, don't hesitate to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Clyde Wang

v-30clwa@mssupport.microsoft.com

Microsoft Windows Support Professional

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users