Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed programs always say contains incorrect path

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aaarrrggg

aaarrrggg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

Everytime I install a program now it never opens, it always gives error message that says incorrect path.

example with mp3tag
I installed it then it asks if I want to run the program I click yes it opens fine but once I close the program it will never open again I have to unistall then reinstall it to use it again.

when I tried to open mp3tag it says c:\program files\mp3tag\files\mp3tag\mp3tag.exe contains an incorrect path.

when I right click it shows the target path as c:\program files\mp3tag\mp3tag.exe

it would seem there's an extra mp3tag\files\ in the path that should not be there?

I can't seem to figure out how to fix this thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

I would try running chkdsk, following the instructions at CHKDSK Utility - http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html. Starting Check Disk.

I would probably follow that up with a defrag.

Louis

#3 aaarrrggg

aaarrrggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

ok I will give that a try to see if that works

#4 aaarrrggg

aaarrrggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

well that didn't work I download dvd shrink and it still says

dvd shrink encountered an error and cannot continue
invalid filename the system cannot find the path specified.

any other ideas thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hmm...I just downloade/installed/closed/reopened twice both DVD Shrink and Mp3tag with no problem.

Some posited the idea that the DVD Shrink problem is a DirectX problem. What version is installed on your system?

I guess that I would question your source for these downloads.

What other programs installed produce this behavior?

I've never known Windows to find the wrong path...unless the original program was copied from CD and the path indicated D:, as opposed to C: as the source.

System manufacturer and model?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible errors that might shed some light?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Ultimately, it seems that something is wrong with XP that creates the reference to the invalid path. i suppose that I would either run the sfc /scannow command or do a repair install of XP...if this was something that impacted more than 1 or two programs.

Your initial post says "every" but I don't believe that. That would render your system useless, which certainly would dictate at least a repair install...some investigation for malware...and maybe a clean install.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#6 aaarrrggg

aaarrrggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for your input
it seems that its only those two programs giving me trouble I installed others to check and they work fine I know its something wrong with the files on xp because the programs work fine on my other computer. I'll probably just go ahead and do a clean install since this computer has never had one and its pretty old.
thanks for your help

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

Appreciate the feedback, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users