Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost icons, start menu and tool bars- please help

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 breccamerie

breccamerie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

I am at whits end trying to get my computer to work. I recently had problems logging in to facebook and yahoo mail. Upon entering name and password the browser window would simply close. I rebooted as we sometimes have problems with the modem. I did so and upon rebot received black screen of death so I restarted again and this time got to my user screen and clicked my icon, the only choice on my computer (one user). It took me to desk top which was only the picture. No icons, no tool bars or start menu. No right click, no mouse icon. Now my computer is stuck in this mode both in regular use and safe mode. Must be manually turned off. Nothing is running after a point as in I don't hear my tower running as if it has finished loading start up so I do not believe its bogged down either.

Several days earlier I removed AdAware and Bulldog security system from my computer. Bulldog was a trial that had ended and I wanted to stop any other chances of conflict with Spybot. I also removed severial other old games, google tool bar and what appeared to be Adobe flash components missing files using the remove programs menu. All this after receiving notices that I needed to install Adobe flash 10 ActiveX notes on several sites including facebook. I tried down loading the ActiveX from several sites including Adobe's home page which either bogged down computer or crashed my browser window. After hours of trying to figure it out and many attemps including sucessfully downloading said program I gave up. 2 days later we couldn't log into our facebook and yahoo accounts. Then had the above booting problems.

This all comes after my husband's computer only shows black screen of death after my children were playing Oblivian- just installed a new video card as well which was rated high enough for game. Husband goes to questionable sites and has picked up viruses in past. Is this something malicious or are we looking at a software or mechanical issue? Husband tells me it's not a virus or related issue. Thanks so much for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users