Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Embedded video fails with "ocget.dll" being blocked by Windows

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

Enterprise environment, everyone's running XP Pro, SP3.

I created an instructional video (avi) and embedded it on a page for our intranet. The file was compressed using the xvid codec. I couldn't just send the file out to everyone, and force them to download a codec player, so I thought (wrongly?) embedding it in the web page with a wmp plugin would succeed. Anyone who is not me seems to get the following error:

Internet Explorer - Security Warning
Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.
Name: ocget.dll
Publisher: Unknown Publisher
<okay>

I can't download xvid for everyone in the company. The logsitics make it impractical, and I'm not going to allow people permissions to install programs on their own just because I can't get to all the computers.

Is this a problem with how the video was compressed? Or is this a problem with how it was embedded? Can I switch to another embedded player (say, flash, which everyone does have to have) in the web page and make it viewable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Or upload to youtube and make it private?

#3 flex-it services

flex-it services

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

That would make Google a Giant company that hordes all the videos on the interwebs!
~~~
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

#4 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Yea... youtube is blocked through group policy. That's not coming undone anytime soon, I think.

It would make things a world easier, except for our productivity goals. :thumbsup:

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

little of topic, youtube is blocked by group policy?? how so? i'm looking to block a few sites (FACEBOOK!!!) but can't seem to find a solution. Sorry for hacking your topic :thumbsup:

If it's on a windows server, try right clicking on the file going to properties, make sure there isn't an 'unblock' button down the bottom, i've had windows do some weird things and this got me a few times now...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

That would make Google a Giant company that hordes all the videos on the interwebs!

Well, there are other websites where one can host videos. Youtube was the first one off the top of my head. Besides, Google already is a giant company that hordes all the videos on the interwebs.

#7 flex-it services

flex-it services

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

actually we use a web filter called "Barracuda" for our Company. We have it blocking: Facebook, Youtube, (Anything that streams Multimedia), Twitter, etc. (obvious ones like adult content) it really cuts down on the viruses that get on the machines, and ;) people who waste time at work using facebook and such...

For More information about Barracuda and their products you can view their link: Here
~~~
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

#8 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

We use iprism. But I know there are certain sites that we have to open the firewall for, for like half our groups, and the other half shouldn't access them.

One of the quick and dirty ways to do it is to script in an edit to the host file to redirect traffic, using the same logon script file that would, say, map network drives, identify user group and permissions. But that's if you know how to code vbs. I don't.

I'm not at work anymore... But if google and memory serves right, there might/should be a setting around "Navigate User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Internet Explorer" in the Group Policy editor. That's the same place where you can set a group's homepage (we use it to direct everyone to our intranet, for example). But that's where I'd look first.

#9 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

Now that I've suggested that... does anyone have anything more to offer me help with, so we can get back on topic? :thumbsup:

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

It looks like they are being blocked due to browser security levels. Maybe try adding the website to the list of trusted sites?

#11 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

How do I tell what website ocget is trying to connect to? If I can do that, I can put it through our filter and open it for access.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

My guess is that it is trying to pull the driver from your server, so that one should be added to the trusted sites. Failing that, you will need to check your logs and see what requests are being denied.

I did find this though:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323207

#13 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

My guess is that it is trying to pull the driver from your server, so that one should be added to the trusted sites. Failing that, you will need to check your logs and see what requests are being denied.

I did find this though:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323207

Thank you. Which logs should I be checking? Event viewer on the computers where I got the error message don't have anything listed for the times when the error was generated. I just know I'm looking in the wrong place...

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

Without knowing anything of your topology, I am assuming that you have a common point where all system access the Internet, whether it be a router, switch, etc. I would check those logs. In the event viewer, if there is an error, I would expect it to be under the software logs.

#15 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

OH! I was looking at the user computers with the error. Not our servers. I'll go see if I can find where our net pipes in from and find out what errors that computer generated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users