Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Nasty for Christmas ....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Smith

Alex Smith

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hello,

I managed to get my computer infected with something over Christmas and I just can't get rid of it. I am running XP Home with SP3.

It started a few weeks ago when out of the blue my computer rebooted itself for no reason. Immediately, the first thing I noticed was that all Google search result links were being redirected to bizarre and random websites - as soon as I saw the link was being redirected I didn't hang around to see what website would load. This happened on both IE and Firefox. But, this wasn't every time I turned my computer on. I could always tell if redirection was going to happen as a strange image would appear at the top of the Google search results page - made up of the Google logo and a couple of dozen Google icons, like the back and forwards arrows, shopping trolley cart icons etc. If this image didn't appear, the results would not redirect.

I installed both Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D - these both found and fixed several things but the Google links were still being redirected on and off. During the scans I noticed that a HelpAssistant folder had popped up in Documents & Settings. I checked it out and lo and behold it had been created at the exact moment my computer had rebooted. I was able to manually delete the folder and its contents but it would reappear on boot up.

Currently, Google seems to be fine but I refuse to believe the problem just went away by itself. If I turn my PC on with the modem already on, AVG picks up c:\windows\system32\services.exe trying to make a connection to the internet. Of course, I block it but the HelpAssistant folder reappears. If I start the computer with the modem off, turning it on a few minutes after boot up, no HelpAssistant folder appears and services.exe doesn't try to connect (or at least AVG doesn't pick it up). However, some things I try to run (like my music sequencer software, Reason 3) last for a few minutes before the whole computer falls over - it gets slower and slower over the course of a few minutes and then freezes, and a constant beep sounds from the PC internal speaker until I turn the machine off (usually swearing at the time).

All current scans say my computer is fine, although AVG seems reluctant to let me update Malwarebytes.

I think that basically covers the problem - any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex Smith

Alex Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:33 AM

Hi again,

Now my computer is having trouble booting up - if I start it normally it freezes at the welcome screen. Safe mode works, and I managed to get it to work in normal mode by selecting "last known good configuration" on the F8 start up menu, but I suspect there isn't long left until it explodes completely.

Please help!

Alex

#3 Alex Smith

Alex Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:44 AM

Please close this topic. I couldn't find help anywhere and my computer died totally on me. I was using it as an expensive paper weight for a while, but now have formatted the hard drive, reinstalled everything and restored my router to the factory settings and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users