Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB TV Tuner - USB device not recognized problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dimensionalist

dimensionalist

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hi all, i've problem with my Hauppauge HVR 900 USB TV Tuner. Whenever i plug it into
my Imac 27" running Bootcamp Vista 64, i keep getting this error : USB device not recognized.
Happens even when i plug it to a USB Powered HUB. I've updated and tried most Hauppauge drivers and updated my Vista, and done much reading on the internet about usb devices not recognized. I figured in order to get my USB TV Tuner to work,
i have to do the following :
- Unplug the USB TV Tuner from my computer
- Go to Device Manager and to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
- Disable one of the USB Root Hub in Universal Serial Bus Controllers
- Restart my computer
- Plug in my USB TV Tuner after restart. (When plug in USB TV Tuner,
will get Windows notify that "The USB device can perform faster
if you connect it to a High Speed USB 2.0 port." )
- Have to go to Device Manager and to Universal Serial Bus Controllers again
- ENABLE the USB Root Hub in Universal Serial Bus Controllers that i've disabled
- And the USB TV Tuner works.

But after i restart my computer the next day, my USB TV Tuner will fail to work again
with the same error : USB device not recognized. This is frustrating.
I have to do the following steps above to get Hauppauge HVR 900 USB TV Tuner
work everytime. Can someone help me on how to get my USB TV Tuner work properly
without going through all these? Thanks in advance.

BTW my USB TV tuner used to work on my Imac 24". And still work on my HP tablet with Vista 32,
provided i have to start up my HP tablet with the USB TV tuner plugged in.
If i plug in the USB TV tuner after my HP tablet had already started up in Windows,
the HP tablet will too get the same error : USB device not recognized.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

One of the general "cures" for various USB situations...involves going into Device Manager and uninstalling all USB controllers listed...then rebooting and allowing same to reinstall.

Louis

#3 dimensionalist

dimensionalist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:29 AM

One of the general "cures" for various USB situations...involves going into Device Manager and uninstalling all USB controllers listed...then rebooting and allowing same to reinstall.

Louis

Thanks for the reply, but i don't really know which device to uninstall or update, all my usb devices are working fine. Except when i plugged in my USB TV card, i keep getting USB device not recognized. I've updated most drivers, updated vista, tried most of the drivers for the tv card. Even reinstall vista, and tried the USB TV card immediately after installing Vista 64.... It won't work. I have to go thru the steps i mentioned to get it work, troublesome and frustrating. May i know will drivers for another usb device cause the problem? Anyway to set the usb power management manually for specific USB port?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:21 AM

Well...if your USB ports all work properly...that tends to point the finger at the Hauppauge device, IMO.

I have a Hauppauge card (PCI) and don't have any problems...but any hardware item can go bad any time.

I would try the card on a different system (temporarily) and see if problems surface. I see that you say that it works on other systems, but I see that you also say that you encounter similar anomalies.

That would be enough for me.

Louis

#5 dimensionalist

dimensionalist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think my usb tv might end up being faulty like what you said.
Got the same problem on my HP table running vista 32. Except for my hp, i don't have
to go through those silly steps. I feel that the USB tv tuner is drawing or need lots
of power that's causing the problem. Will try on a computer running xp. Thanks again
your advise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users