Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Freezes Up When Not Booted in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 translunar

translunar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

I was wondering if there was anybody out there who could help me diagnose this problem. I am running Windows Vista Home Edition in 32-bit, and my computer has been freezing up since early yesterday. It runs perfectly fine if I run my computer in Safe Mode (it even runs perfectly fine in Safe Mode with Networking), but if I boot the computer normally, it will eventually freeze up. When you boot it normally, it seems to be working fine for about 2 or 3 minutes, and then whenever I open ANY window or program (internet browsers and Windows Explorer windows included), it will freeze up after about 30-60 seconds. I end up having to manually power off my laptop, and when I boot it up again a Disk Check utility comes up. I have run this utility twice and the first time it found corrupt music files, and the second time it found some corrupt .dat and .ini files. I don't remember what indexes those were from, or even the names of the files. I have run Avast Antivirus in a Boot Time Scan and it did not find any viruses.

If there are any steps I need to take or any programs I need to run, I'm more than happy to try them out. Thanks!

- JP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

hello

this article explains how to find out what is loading and causing your problem.(hopefully)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

good luck :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 translunar

translunar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:34 AM

That fixed it. Thank you so much. I really do appreciate it. :huh:

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

you are welcome:
Have A Great Day

#5 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Thanks from me too Kenny. Mine freezes up at random times. I plan to try this windows repair suggestion and see what it does.

#6 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

hello nosmiley

I hope you have the same result!!!

good luck :huh:
Have A Great Day