Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lindasparrots

lindasparrots

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:29 PM

Last month I had to partition & reformat hard drive because win soc was hijacked. Had no cd on this computer, ex son in law forced me to have this computer, so I bought an oem windows xp pro with service pack 2, to replace the one on this computer. I tried backing up the files I wanted to keep but apparently the backups were corrupted, too. I lost the acdsee that was on the computer & have no cd or floppy to replace. I downloaded trial version but none of my cds will work. I had corel 9 cd which I had, but can't view anything with that, either. I have been using windows office 2000 since ex son in law gave me a copy of his back in 2000. I discovered after I installed it to this new os the reason the computer was hijacked was from IE & probably from the word 2000. I had msn (56k) since 97, no problems. Last month I went with sbc dsl & that is when I got hijacked. I removed IE & Microsoft windows office 2000 (can't afford to replace even with oem right now).
This computer is Dell optiplex gx270, 2.80 ghz, pentium 4, 40 gig hard drive. The dsl has spyware & antivirus but I run ad-aware & trend micro to make sure I stay clean. I keep windows firewall on. SBC had me delete norton firewall when trying to get me online with the dsl, which removed all of the norton, but that is ok since it never picked up the virus or spyware. I had purchased spyware eliminator a few months back but haven't put it on with the new xp pro os since I seem to have better luck with the ad-aware & trend micro.
The computer I had was built by same ex son in law & when he installed this computer (while I was at work) he did leave the the last one - pentium 3 with Millenuim ME which I purchased a few years ago & was a validated version. I am wondering if I can transfer the acdsee from that computer to this one, how to do that. Do I have to replace that ME with the windows xp to transfer that stuff? Or do I wait til I can afford oem of word & acdsee?
Thanks for your patience & help, in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

First, you might just as well, since you have a new OS, get new applications to put on it.
Rather than use MS Office, a very viable alternative is open source (and FREE) OpenOffice.org; this suite has all the functionality that MS office has, and is almost completely compatible with Office file types.
To replace ACDSee, there are many free programs that work perfectly well. IrfanView is a very good editor, for example, and Picasa2 (free from Google) is a good viewer.
There is no reason to be condemned to using IE as your default browser, either; the free and open source Firefox, or the Mozilla suite, is a trendy and more fully-featured replacement.
Here is a rather complete list of alternate applications that you might want to consider. All have been used by members and all are without cost:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Fre...apps-t3616.html

Lastly, do not rely on MS firewall, since it currently only checks incomming packets and ignores any outgoing ones that might be "calling home." There are several good free firewalls from which to choose.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 lindasparrots

lindasparrots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 04:54 PM

Thanks, John, for the fast reply. I will check out what you suggest. Re firewall, the sbc dsl has a firewall in addition to the windows firewall. I had downloaded Mozilla but sbc doesn't support it. I run the ad-aware & trend micro each day as well, & have run hijack this, no more problems. Apparently the Microsoft 2000 was the open door to the problems, since it wasn't a licensed version I couldn't get the patch for it, will go to check out the stuff you told me off.
Thanks for your time & consideration.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:41 PM

Despite a lot of my letters and comments to them over several years of use, SBC refuses to support anything other than IE, much to its loss. There is an extension for Mozilla that will open pages in IE, or you can keep IE around just for SBC and WindowsUpdate.
Rather than rely on SBC/Yahoo (which seems to want to install a lot of dross on your computer), I prefer using an independent firewall, etc., that does not rely on my continuing financial support of SBC.

I really think that a new Operating System is a great "excuse" for exploring other application possibilities, such as Mozilla and OpenOffice.org. The great thing about these free programs is that you can give them a chance and if you do not like them, you can delete them and not fret over money ill spent.
I really like OpenOffice, and have found it highly compatible with MS Office.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 21 August 2005 - 05:42 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users