Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

constant reboot in vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ellenknndy

ellenknndy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

Acer Extensa 5620z laptop Windows Vista Home Premium

I repeatedly get the screen, with the two options of repair windows or restart windows in the last known good configuration.
No matter which option I choose, the computer goes through the process of trying to get into windows but then shows me this same screen.

Here is what I have done so far:
-I tried booting from a Windows Vista disk to choose the option to repair, did not work.
-I tried doing a system restore from this screen and it also did not work.
-I then made an iso of a Windows Vista repair disk which actually completed the repair process but the same screen was displayed over and over again with the two options.
-I used the check memory diagnostic tool which said the memory was fine.
-I tried the .iso disk again to try and repair again but the computer was blue screened after i tried to restart.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

Acer Extensa 5620z laptop Windows Vista Home Premium

I repeatedly get the screen, with the two options of repair windows or restart windows in the last known good configuration.
No matter which option I choose, the computer goes through the process of trying to get into windows but then shows me this same screen.

Here is what I have done so far:
-I tried booting from a Windows Vista disk to choose the option to repair, did not work.
-I tried doing a system restore from this screen and it also did not work.
-I then made an iso of a Windows Vista repair disk which actually completed the repair process but the same screen was displayed over and over again with the two options.
-I used the check memory diagnostic tool which said the memory was fine.
-I tried the .iso disk again to try and repair again but the computer was blue screened after i tried to restart.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

If you can get on the system through another system this would be helpful:

I would like to see these minidumps. To better help me please do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

Please send copy more than one like 3 or 4 from the previous few times, as to I can make check to make sure it is one problem in them all!!
One log is not usually sufficient to tell if that was just a random error, or occurs over and over. So you should zip 5-6 of the latest files and post them.

Thanks

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#3 ellenknndy

ellenknndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

The only way I know how to access the system through another system is take the hard drive out, plug it into my external casing and connect it to a working computer. Other than that, you lost me!

#4 ellenknndy

ellenknndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

I just did chkdsk c: in the command prompt run by WinPE disk and it told me that

Attribute record (48, "") from file record segment 129328ssed) is corrupt...
Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

Does this mean my hard disk has failed and is no longer usable??

#5 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

I just did chkdsk c: in the command prompt run by WinPE disk and it told me that

Attribute record (48, "") from file record segment 129328ssed) is corrupt...
Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

Does this mean my hard disk has failed and is no longer usable??

Go download Ultimate Boot CD and Do a complete hard drive check. This will tell for sure if your hard drive is failing!! Let me know the results!!

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#6 ellenknndy

ellenknndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

ok so I think I got lucky...

I removed the hard drive from the laptop, inserted it into my external hard drive case and plugged it into a working laptop. When plugged in, the laptop read the disk with errors, so I clicked on the little bublble on the task bar to "fix errors." I ticked both boxes to check disk and fix errors automatically. This took a long long time to scan and fix the disk. When finished, I returned the hard drive back into its original location and was finally able to boot into Windows like normal. I ran a MBAM scan and only one adware popped up. Not sure what could have caused the error on the hard drive, but it is now fixed. Thanks for your help GamerX!!!

Ellen

Edited by ellenknndy, 07 January 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#7 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

ok so I think I got lucky...

I removed the hard drive from the laptop, inserted it into my external hard drive case and plugged it into a working laptop. When plugged in, the laptop read the disk with errors, so I clicked on the little bublble on the task bar to "fix errors." I ticked both boxes to check disk and fix errors automatically. This took a long long time to scan and fix the disk. When finished, I returned the hard drive back into its original location and was finally able to boot into Windows like normal. I ran a MBAM scan and only one adware popped up. Not sure what could have caused the error on the hard drive, but it is now fixed. Thanks for your help GamerX!!!

Ellen

I wouldn't trust that hard drive, it really sounds like it is about to die. I would suggest replacing the hard drive with another before he goes completely and I would suggest keeping daily backups on the hard drive in question until you do!! I can almost bet that Hard drive is on it's last disk!!

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#8 ellenknndy

ellenknndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

haha last disk as in last leg? that really made me laugh out loud if I interpreted it correctly.

Thanks for all your help GamerX!!!

#9 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

haha last disk as in last leg? that really made me laugh out loud if I interpreted it correctly.

Thanks for all your help GamerX!!!

Yep You interpreted that correctly!! I always try to make people smiling when there isn't much to smile about!! ;)

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#10 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

i would suggest using ghost to copy your entire drive to a new disk asap, then installing that as your new master drive. your disk is very likely to be failing, and you'll have less headache copying now than trying to recreate or restore it later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users