Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC access

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 p&dora

p&dora

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

Hello all: I am going to visit my son and family up north next week and I would like to know how I can access my pc down here. Does he have to set up a "guest account" for me his pc? Appreciate the help, thank you, Maureen :thumbsup:

Edited by p&dora, 21 August 2005 - 12:26 PM.

Windows XP Home, 1200 GL Intel Pent 4, Dell Dimension 4550, 512 MB Ram,XP2, Lexmark X75, OE6, IE6Firefox 1.0.2,Spywareblaster, CC 1.18.099, Adaware SE 1.05, PhishGuard, Road Runner cable, Computer Associates FW and AV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:31 PM

Well, if you both have Win XP you need to setup the remote program on both machines.

If not, get a program like "Go to my pc" or PC anywhere to be able to use his computer to access yours.

Of course, you must leave your computer running when you leave for your trip.

#3 p&dora

p&dora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

Thank you Enthusiast: Appreciate the information. However, since we are still in the hurricane season down here, my intention was to unplug my pc. I will have to re-evaluate the situaton. Again, many thanks, Maureen
Windows XP Home, 1200 GL Intel Pent 4, Dell Dimension 4550, 512 MB Ram,XP2, Lexmark X75, OE6, IE6Firefox 1.0.2,Spywareblaster, CC 1.18.099, Adaware SE 1.05, PhishGuard, Road Runner cable, Computer Associates FW and AV

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:15 PM

Rather than take the dubious step of leaving your computer on during your visit, can you not save what you need to use to a disk and take that with you? (I am thinking here of documents or bookmarks, all of which are portable.)
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

What do you need to access while you're on the trip?

Most ISPs have web based mail that you can access from any computer, and you can do banking, etc by going to those particular web pages and signing on.

All your son needs to do is either create an account for you or let you use the guest account that is built in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users