Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't free up any space on Local Disk (C:)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hplap2006

hplap2006

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

*The computer I am referring to is a Microsoft Windows XP, Version 5.1.2600 (it's a desktop)

Okay, so one day while I was on the desktop computer, I received a little bubble in the system tray saying that I'm running out of space on local disk (C:). My local space (C:) has a total capacity of 228GB. So I deleted all kinds of documents, programs and songs that I didn't need (like over a hundred of em). Then I would empty the recycle bin, thinking that everything would be okay...so right after deleting those files I would probably receive 1GB of free space back...but then next thing I know it's back down to 0 bytes of free space, which means I did all of that deleting for nothing. I thought that once you deleted something from the recycle bin that it was permanently gone, at least that's how it worked with some of the other computers in the house. So what happened to those files that I deleted? Why is my hard drive constantly full no matter how many files I try to delete? Please help because alot of people depend on using this computer for school but they can't save anything anymore. THANKS!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

Can you post a screenshot from Disk Management?

You can use a tool to see what takes up so much space on your hard drive/partition. One such tool is TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/.

You are correct in thinking that files deleted which go into the Recycle Bin...are gone once the Recycle Bin has been emptied. But...there are various programs and functions which also may use up hard drive space.

There is also the possibility that some malware item is at work on your system...that's why an analysis of what is taking up space is important.

Louis

#3 flex-it services

flex-it services

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hamluis,

Would a good place for him to check be in temp folders:

(often found)

C:\Windows\temp

and
(XP)
C:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temp

(Vista and Windows7)
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp

The Malware possibility makes sense also.
~~~
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

The utility (or a similar one) I linked to...provides a quick, efficient way of seeing where partition space is going.

Myself...I prefer to take a look using Explorer, whenever I have concerns about free space within a partition. But I keep my system partition at a manageable size of about 20GB, which makes it easy for me to take this approach.

On such a large C: as stated...my approach would take lots of time and effort, while the utility would make it much easier to investigate.

As for exploring what's in the temporary files folder...considering the size of video files, graphics files, and music files...and Windows functions such as hibernation...and backups...temporary files are miniscule. IMO, it's better to get a "global view" of what's on the partition, rather than anticipate or guess where the problem lies.

Once large files are singled out, those folders/files can then be examined in more detail.

Louis

#5 flex-it services

flex-it services

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

That's a great way of looking at it! I think in my field everything is pretty static. All the same. Not much differentiation.

:thumbsup: I like this site, - learning all this stuff.
~~~
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

I think we all learn something new every day...the situations, system responses, perspectives of the many...tend to benefit the many and more life should be structured that way (IMO) :thumbsup:.

The one thing that I find about computing...due to its ever changing, somewhat idiosyncratic nature...it helps if a user likes to learn and investigate that which was formerly possibly misunderstood or unknown.

Louis

#7 ronrumpf

ronrumpf

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

I assume that you have already rebooted. Since you don't have any disk space I also assume that you can't download anything via the internet or flash drive. I prefer Glary Utilities for checking file definitions (and it’s free). You can look at specific folders and it also has other functions like a files cleaner and registry fixer. Have you run the file clean-up under the drive preferences? Have you done the clean-up for temporary internet files? Have you done a CHKDSK /F? If you have any corrupted files it will fill up your hard drive. After you do a disk check be sure that you defrag your system.

Unfortunately if none of this helps you may have to copy off the documents folder and any program files and rebuild the OS. The drive may have lost its format…

#8 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the responses guys...I'm finally trying to work on it now...I'm trying to run a Malwarbytes scan on it but for some reason that starts to freeze seconds after I command it to start scanning. I don't know what to do....it's so frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users