Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes/Crashes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wlbressler

wlbressler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:51 AM

I have a Gateway, running on Windows 98 that has been freezing upon start-up. Sometimes it happens while it's booting up, other times it is just shortly after. Sometimes the screen goes black and restarts itself, and sometimes it won't start and sends me to having to choose safe mode, in order to restart. Once I reboot, the computer works fine. it's crazy.

i have uninstalled programs I no longer use, and have tried to run ScanDisk but i'm having trouble with that too. I have also gone through all that is listed in the Start-up list (run - msconfig...). In addition, I run Ad-Aware periodically to keep the internet funk off the computer. Could i have a virus? This computer's HD was reformatted a year ago. What could be causing this? Please advise. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:20 PM

Have you run Scandisk, and Defragged in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Try running these online virus scanners, and see if they turn up anything:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Brindle

Brindle

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:10 AM

Here's some general information for you.

#4 wlbressler

wlbressler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

I did do the scandisk and defrag in safe mode and so far it's booting up ok. i have only booted once since i did it so only time will tell. i really hope that was all that was needed. thanks so much!

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

You're welcome, wlbressler.
I would recommend running the online scans, just to be sure, while you're still able to bootup.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 wlbressler

wlbressler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:09 AM

Ok, so i ran defrag and scandisk in safemode, and even went to housecall.com and ran a virus search, no viruses. but after a couple of days over working fine, it's acting up again. freezing just after it finishes booting up. but after i reboot it, it's fine. what else could be wrong?

thanks again for help on this!

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:13 AM

What Antispyware applications do you run?
Some of the programs you should be using:
aČ free
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard
Download them, update them, and then run them.
Are you up to date on Windows Updates?
Have you tried following the advice in Brindle's link?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users