Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection between NetGear Router set up on PC & MacBook

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ganna

ganna

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hi all,

I recently purchased a MacBook 6.1 (Specs: Processor: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory: 2GB; OS: Mac OS X 10.6.2) and a NetGear WNR2000 router to connect to the internet. The router is connected to my PC (Specs: Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2.01 GHz; Memory: 1.5GB, OS: Windows XP SP2); I have a cable internet connection.

When I was setting up the router on my PC using the Setup CD I was having some problems as when it came to the last step of the install (the part where it checks the out going signal) and for 3 times it failed. I unstalled my antivirus (AVG 9 Free) as this could've been a problem but it had no effect as when I ran the setup CD again it still did not work. I then managed to setup the router using the Netgear website which worked fine immediately.

When using the MacBook for internet browsing I sometimes manage to connect (usually when I place the MacBook right near the router) and sometimes I cannot. I try turning the AirPort on the MacBook on & off to try to connect as I have configured the network settings to connect immediately to the router signal. Sometimes I just lose connection from the MacBook - this happens more frequently when I manage to connect in a different room to the router (it is normally more problematic gaining a connection in the first place though). There is no set time for when this loss of connection happens.

Things I have tried:

1. I have tried connecting my MacBook to a completely different wireless network and this did not disconnect once.
2. I have tried a connecting an iPod Touch to the router when in the same room as the router and this managed to connect however a very low signal was achieved.
3. I have taken both the MacBook & router to a new PC & modem in a separate building and I did not get any of the problems described above.
4. I have taken the MacBook and router to the place where I bought them from (same place) so that they could test to see which (if either) gives the problem. They couldn't find any problem with either and in fact gave me a completely new router however I'm having the same problems.
5. I have also un-installed my previous firewall (Sygate) and am now using the Windows firewall as I thought it might be a firewall setting.
6. I have run a virus scan to see if this might possibly be an issue but there did not seem to be any such threat.

My internet connection from the PC works fine without any problems however I wonder if there might my some setting from my PC that is causing all these problems (it seems to be the last thing that has not been looked into as much as the other two). I would greatly appreciate any help in helping me solve the problem - it is extremely frustrating!

If this is not the appropriate forum that I have posted in please feel free to move it to a better one.

Thanks a lot!
Jane
It's great being an anorak

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

I am assuming since you didn't actually say it that the PC is wired and the Mac is wireless.

Have you looked at the channels, both on the router and on the Mac? Perhaps changing them to the same channel might clear it up. And you might have to change them a couple of times if there are other wireless networks in the area.

The other thing to look at is the standard, G , B, N. If the Mac has an N set the router to only N, or G if its G.

Is there a cordless phone close to the router? It does operate at 2.4 Ghz and altho they shouldn't interfere if its close to the router it could very easily.

Is there a florescent light near it? Even one of the new florescent bulbs might do it.

I give this advice because if you can connect to other networks, I assume in your same building, then there is no interference between the Mac and that network. You took it into the store and it all worked fine. So its something in your place that is causing the issues. Wireless is a pain when its not working correctly lol. But Oh So SWEET when its working fine.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ganna

ganna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

Firstly thanks a lot for such a quick reply - really appreciated! But even more appreciated is the fact that my problem has been solved!!! :thumbsup:

I had a cordless phone that was on the same desk as the router & I had no option but to change the phone to a non-cordless one as my phone line is through the modem too.

Then I changed the channel to a specific channel as the setting was to 'Auto' and since then all has been great - in fact I'm posting this from my MacBook in my dining room somewhere I couldn't even connect before! :flowers:

*bows in gratitude*

Thanks a lot :trumpet:
It's great being an anorak

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Most welcome =)

I am glad it was something so easily fixed

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users