Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permissions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Soloratov

Soloratov

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

Well, everything has been running great. No issues until yesterday. I have a few random folders, that I am unable to modify or delete any files from. Not everything seems effected but when i try to either delete, or cut I get an error saying I need permission from either Administrators or my account name. Now I only have one username to log into. I have checked all permissions, everything is wide open, UAC is off. I am very confused and need help. Thank you.

If you require any more information i will gladly give it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

What "random folders" are you talking about?

There are many critical system files and folders that look strange, but should not be tampered with.

There are also many important files owned by the "system", not the user. You would have to take ownership of the files to delete them. But I think you should tell me what files you are looking at before you consider deleting them. The location and name would tell a lot (a screenshot would be fantastic!).

If it won't let you delete it, it probably means you shouldn't. Or else the issue is malware-related (a possibility with UAC off)

Let me know the nature and location of these "random folders" and I can better advise you on what to do with them. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Soloratov

Soloratov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

I meant literally random folders. Not any system folders that I can find. They are however folders that are shared on our network, and were able to be accessed a few days ago, but now are not. I have checked and I am the "owner" of all the files all the way up to the C drive itself. I will be running a malwarebytes scan shortly, but I can't imagine that is the issue, worth a shot though.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

What are/is the location and names of these random folders? That would be the most helpful info you could give.

C:\blah blah\yada yada.....and so on.

#5 Soloratov

Soloratov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

Ah, the top folder, the first one you come to that shows issues is at:

C:\Users\B

Now, the "user" that is the login user, that folder is fine, we will call it A. At the welcome screen "A" logs in. Inside the USER folder I have however created another folder we can label B. That is the folder that as of 2 days ago, stopped allowing anyone, (including me, the only user and administrator of the computer), modify cut, delete etc any files or folders within that B folder. I always recieve an error saying I need permission from A to modify the file. What is even stranger, is I did find, in another folder, can't remember which one, I got a different error. Well, same error, but this time it said I needed permission from the Guest account........WTF?

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

I was hoping for specifics, not code names. How about "Bob" or "Susie", instead of "A" and "B"?

What did you create the "B" folder for? Pictures, documents, what? You created it yourself, and now the system won't allow you to modify the files inside? Is that it? Hint: this is the kind of info to share at the beginning instead of just saying "random folders". I thought you meant folders were being created on their own out of the ordinary and you couldn't delete them. That's what led me to believe it was malware related (although it still could be).

I hate to say this, but it's like pulling teeth to get info out of you. I'm doing the best I can to help you, but you're making it difficult by holding back information. Please share as much as you know, and make it plain to understand. I don't mean to be harsh, but I will be straight up with you. This makes it easier for both of us.

Thanks, and sorry for the misunderstanding. :huh:

#7 Soloratov

Soloratov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

It's no problem. It is a business computer and my boss is paranoid. Anyway.......I figure if I am supposed to get this fixed I will do it my way.

The folder is this, the generated folder for the original administrator account is labelled under my name DAN.

C:\Users\Dan

I believe that is the path....I am not at the computer at the moment. That folder is unrestricted and everything works well. However, I share the computer with another coworker, so under the Users folder I just created another folder named ROB. Now this is all under the automatically network shared structure that Windows 7 gives me when I turn on file sharing, along with the public folder. Really wish i was sitting there to be sure the path was correct.........I know there is a PUBLIC folder as well.

Anyway, the issue is just this, whenever I try to delete a folder or file in particular from that ROB folder, I am presented with an error requiring permission from "DAN-PC\Dan". This makes no sense to me as that is exactly how I am logged in. That is the only user account on the machine and it is set to complete administrator access, and UAC is off. It was only turned off to try to get this issue to go away. I also ran malware and spybot scans, and both came up empty. The windows installation is only 2 weeks old, and this issue only arose Monday. Until then everything was fine. I checked all the network sharing settings and nothing has changed or is otherwise standing out. I also checked the ownership of all the related folders, and I am the sole owner.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

Thanks, that definitely helps a lot. :huh:

Yeah, the network sharing/homegroup stuff is supposed to be easy, but it can also be a pain in the you know what. :huh:

Instead of fighting with the permissions issue, here is what I would do:

Copy (don't move or cut) the files in the folder to another place on the drive, then copy them again to an external drive (flash/thumb drive is perfect). This is just to make sure you have backups. Then try to use a file shredding program to kill those contrary, original files you can't modify. File Shredder is great for this. Run it as an Administrator (right-click > Run as administrator) when you use it. If it still kicks back that permissions issue, I have a plan B.

If it works, don't put another person's files inside your personal folder again. It makes things like this happen (permission issues). You're better off creating another user account, or just putting everything in the Public folder.

Let me know how it goes. :thumbup2:

#9 Soloratov

Soloratov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

This sharing hing is so rediculous. I miss XP, right click, share, done. Oy, anyway, i think i figured it out. Under the individual share properties of the folder, the permissions were set differently than they should be. So why would we add two different permission menus and settings for everything.........what a pain in the......yeah. Thank you Ninja, i appreciate your time very much.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

No problem. I was glad to help. :huh: