Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is OpenDNS safe to use?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 luv2xs2

luv2xs2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

To download OpenDNS I had to imput my router username and password on their website. It then assigned a new IP address which shows up on the status page of my Linksys router. I decided to stop using OpenDNS and flushed my browser's cache and flushed their DNS using a dos prompt but their IP addy still shows up on my status page. I released and renewed my settings (we have a dynamic IP) and that didn't get rid of it. I also tried unplugging my router for 3 days but that didn't change anything. I'm concerned they may have access to my router settings as I gave out the name and password. I have since changed the name and password but their IP still shows up. My WPA2 encryption symbols are fully displayed in my router (not just displayed as stars). Can they access any of this info? And, How do I get rid of OpenDNS for good?

Edited by luv2xs2, 06 January 2010 - 08:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

You might have to contact them to find out how to stop it. But you could also just change the user name and password.

I'd reset the router, by pushing and holding the reset button for a count of 10. Yes it will wipe out all settings and security. But that is easily fixed. You can then just surf into the routers GUI with the default UN/PW. But contact them first and see what you have to do to stop their service.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users