Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows seach opens in new windw

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 don_s

don_s

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:22 AM

Hi there...

I've googled the heck out of this problem, but can't seem to find an answer. If someone here could help, that would be great.

I recently installed a new motherboard on my home computer, and as a result, I had to reinstall Windows XP... So that I didn't have to reformat my hard drive, I installed XP on top of the previous installation. There haven't been any side-effects except the following:

Even though I've selected OPEN EACH FOLDER IN SAME WINDOW in Tools > Folder Options > General, and even though MOST of the folders do in fact open in the same window, I have this one nagging problem.

Every time I complete a folder search using the Windows Search Companion (the one with the dog/assistant in the left pane of the window), and I click on the resulting found folders, those folders open in NEW windows... Which is incredibly annoying because i) I end up cluttering my desktop with scores of search result windows, and ii) because each folder is a new window, I can't scroll up through my search results to the folder from which I started the search.

This wasn't happening before my reinstall... Before the reinstall, if I selected a folder within the search results, it would open within the same window... So I'm wondering: is there an option somewhere in Windows that stops this behaviour? Is there a registry edit that I can make to put an end to this?

If anyone has any ideas why this happening, or how on earth to fix it, please please let me know.

Thanks everyone,
D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users