Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista freezes/crashes at random times

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 theoriginal

theoriginal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:00 AM

Hi, the problem I am having now is that Windows has stopped responding completely for the second time this week. The computer is an Alienware Aurora R5 model running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. First it was when runescape.com was loading and the screen goes black and the computer stops responding (pressing ctl+alt+del didn't help me there). I waited for a couple of minutes to see if it would fix by itself and nothing happened. The second time was when I plug in my ipod shuffle and I right click on the desktop. The hourglass symbol stayed there and then the computer just went completely unresponsive (screen turned semi-white and everything stops working; like when explorer crashes). Pressing ctl+alt+del did not help at all here either. Any tips on how I can fix this problem? I checked my video drivers and they are up to date. I'm going to perform an error-check and call Alienware in the meantime tomorrow to see if they can assist me with this.

I am sure this isn't a virus issue because I did a full scan with nod32, malwarebytes, and super anti-spyware and it found nothing.

Edited by theoriginal, 06 January 2010 - 04:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

hello
I really can't offer much help. (sorry) but instead of ctrl+alt+del......try ctrl+shift+esc see if that helps bring up task manager to see whats going on.

good luck!

PS:I was just in another forum, with a blue screen issue turned out to be nod32 if you could uninstall it and see if that helps. (sorry again) :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

How much free space is on your hard drive? Is it making any clicking noise?

How much ram do you have installed? To find this right click my computer, and choose properties. It will be listed at the bottom.

You say it has done this twice this week. Nothing before that? Were there any hardware software changes in the week or 2 preceeding the beginning of this problem?

#4 theoriginal

theoriginal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

1) There's about 179gb of free space left (capacity is 225 gb). It's not making any clicking noises.

2) I have 4gigs of ram installed.

3) There were software changes but its nothing to worry about (i.e updates for office 2003, malwarebytes update, windows live messenger installation). There was a hardware change that happened around the 15th of last month which was the installation of a 2 gig ram stick.

I did inserted a flash drive that apparently was infected with an autorun trojan on the 30th of last month. I don't understand why it was infected though since nod32 detected the autorun virus and quarantined it in when I had the flash drive inserted in another computer I have. Anyway, after I inserted the flash drive in the Alienware Aurora 5 computer, I touched the flash drive once while it was inserted and this weird error message appeared on the screen (I remember the message being something like 000000x1423 and some other characters I don't remember). Then this blue help icon appeared on the system tray, user account control turned off, then all my icons on the desktop along with the background disappeared. I tried to access task manager using the shortcut keys but it didn't work; the computer was completely unresponsive. Eventually, I had to hard-shut down the computer and restart it to get everything working again.

I accessed system restore and restored it to point before the 30th but after it completed successfully, I opened the user folder and a weird folder with files inside appeared there (wasn't familiar with the files inside that strange folder). Also, a duplicate of one on my programs appeared in the Program files folder. Seeing this, I undid the restore point and tried to find other ways to prevent whatever errors might occur in the future. Obviously I was unsuccessful since I couldn't prevent the computer from having those 2 problems mentioned. The first issue of the black screen from loading runescape.com was on the 4th; the other issue with the ipod shuffle on the 5th. A day later, I contacted Alienware technical support and they did several tests for the graphics card, fans, and processor but they did not find any problems.

I told them that there was no point in using Nod32, Malwarebytes, or Super Antispyware since they never find any infections (Just ran them again today and find nothing as usual). I ran a full system scan of Nod32 and ran MAM and SAS as indicated in this site; using the ATF cleaner in conjunction with SAS in safe mode. Ran sfc and the only thing it finds is an error with the settings.ini file from the Windows Sidebar (Microsoft says to disregard that error message http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947595) and error check finds nothing. I do the aforementioned in conjunction with disk cleanup and system defrag.

At the end, the only thing technical support told me was that it could be an isolation issue that I shouldn't worry about since I told them the computer hasn't frozed since those 2 problems occurred, although they didn't go into much detail with that. I told them about the settings.ini error and they said that should not cause any issues. The alienware computer has frozen in the past but it would be like several months later before I would experience another one. It's just not normal now at the intervals this computer has frozen.

Note: Please don't tell me to reinstall the Windows Sidebar since I did that already and sfc still detects its settings.ini file as corrupted. And I REFUSE to reinstall windows :huh:. Since the 30th of last month, the flash drive has been disinfected and immunized with Flash Disinfector (Had to do it in an xp computer since flash disinfector doesn't work in vista). Needed to use this tool since apparently nod32 failed at getting rid of the autorun trojan completely.

I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow until the 22nd but you guys can still post whatever suggestions/procedures you have for me and I'll check them the day I come back. Thank you.

Edited by theoriginal, 07 January 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#5 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

I would try taking out your new stick of ram, running just that 2gb for a week or 2 and seeing if the problem occurs again.

If it doesnt happen again, after 2 weeks replace your old stick with your new stick and see if it happens then. If it happens on 1 stick, but not the other, you may have your answer. If it happens on both, or neither, then we gotta keep thinking.

#6 theoriginal

theoriginal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to all the suggestions that were posted here. I will post this issue in the Hijackthis/Virus thread to see if I can get more help with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users