Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jpc43

jpc43

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

Hi I have a connection on my desktop computer,and my friend brought over her laptop for me to fix
so i just hooked my internet jack into hers...configured new connection wizard...it connected...but for some reason i still cant use the internet

the LAN doesnt connect...and it cannot get an ip address...any ideas as to how to fix this?
AMD athlon 64 3000+,Nvidia Geforce 6200,2x120G HDD,WIN media center '05

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:45 AM

What does device manager say about her network adapter?

What operating system is this?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 jpc43

jpc43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:00 AM

It's winxp
the device manager had a network adaptor disabled..i enabled that and i'm going to switch over and check to see if it makes the difference...

#4 jpc43

jpc43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:43 AM

okay that didnt do it..but everything is okay on device manager now

the LAN never actually acquires a IP address..could this have something to do with it?
Im using aliant,and it connects on my desktop beside it,and it actually says it's connected on the laptop...just it says that the LAN has limited or no connection

I'm not sure how to fix this..any help would be awesome..thanks

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:10 PM

Go into Control Panel and compare the Network Properties on your computer and hers. You need to have TCP/IP bound to her network card etc. Make sure the settings in IE>Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab are the same. etc.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 jpc43

jpc43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:18 PM

hmm everything matches..and the correct boxes seem to be checked
we do have different 'networking controllers' , mine is Nvidia, hers is realtek

this is really confusing me...

it's a brandnew laptop...it was connected at her house.then she noticed she couldn't get on the internet anymore..just shrugged it off because she was bringing it to me to configure(d/l spyware,software,browser etc..)

and now i just can't get on atall..

Thanks a bunch Leurgy..really appreciate it

#7 jpc43

jpc43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

it actually says (after it determines the LAN has 'limited or no connection') that the cause may be that the computer did not assign a network address..
this is all i can get as far as details..
i tried to repair it and it just tries to refresh my IP address...which doesn't work/happen

#8 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:27 PM

The problem is most likely being caused because of the way your ISP hands out ip addresses. I know that several will actually bind your account number to the mac address of the computer using it making it very difficult to give other people access to your connection.

You need to call your ISP and determine what methods they use. I used to have Insightbb and I was required to register each computer that would possibly be on my connection and then if I wanted to switch to another I just had to tell them, through a web interface, which one it was.

Of course, the simplest method would be to purchase a router and have it clone your pc's mac address.

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:07 PM

Aliant, guys, is a PPPOE type account, or older DSL subscribers have DHCP, if he uses a user/pass (PPPOE), if simply connected, DHCP. If you have PPPOE, you will still (under winxp sp2) have a limited or no connectivity error, this is because you are using a different adapter to connect. If you have no user pass, then your connection is DHCP, in which it is not binded to your mac address, and you don't have to call to add your node. Hope ths helps you guys. I also use Aliant, atlantic canada's biggest ISP/phone network.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users