Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard beeps, sometimes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mobobeep

mobobeep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:32 AM

My motherboard will give me the long beep plus 2 short beeps (Award Bios) 99 out of 100 times I restart it. So I literally have to restart it over and over again until it magically works and says it's in "Safe Mode". (Not windows safe mode, but hardware safe mode). I realize from looking it up that this particular beep means it cannot display a video out (which is painfully obvious). If my computer works 100 percent the 1/100 times I can get it not to beep, what is really going on? I'm having to never shut down my computer because i will have to spend an hour trying to get it back. I've tried air dusting all the sockets and reconnecting everything. It's not like when I get the computer to work it crashes, so I can't say I have a faulty video card per say...

Any help will be appreciated, this is the one major problem keeping me from enjoying my first custom build.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

Does your video card have a fan?
Is it working?
Do you have the extra power cord plugged into the card?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mobobeep

mobobeep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:20 AM

Does your video card have a fan?
Is it working?
Do you have the extra power cord plugged into the card?

Yes I have the 8800GTS and it has a fan and it works, I can hear and see it and yes I have the power cord plugged into it. My computer was fine for 2 years, same components except for some new RAM I got because I thought that was the problem. 1/100 times I restart the computer will work so I know there is no permanent hardware failure.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

The only way to be 100% sure is to try a different video card
You might try to look at yours as closely as possible for any discoloration or bulging/split capacitors
You want to see flat-tops, not dome-shaped
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users