Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze after first startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vic243

vic243

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

Hello everyone - new to the forums so please be gentle :huh:

I recently upgraded to Win7 Ultimate edition and most everything runs well, however I keep experiencing random computer freezes. Sometimes I am online and the system will freeze, however most of the time it freezes after I start a game. This doesn't happen all the time but a good 8 out of 10 times after I start my computer after being off for a couple of hours or more. Usually after a restart/shutdown the system works just fine and doesn't freeze until the next time when I start the computer again after letting "rest".

I have searched online for some possible solutions but nothing leads me to find the cause. I've checked event viewer and I see some Hard Disk errors and a couple of Service errors (lirsgt and atksgt) but I have no clue as to what application these 2 services are related to so I can't reinstall. In short, I am lost, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Haven't posted any logs until I am asked to do so to avoid spam.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!!! :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:24 AM

I had multiple freezes but it turned out to be a problem with the video card drivers. Download the latest drivers and see if your problems vanish.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 vic243

vic243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

Thank you for the esponse Rainbow, however I have all updated drivers for my hardware, including my video card, but still having issues. As a matter of fact I started having issues even before I update to the new NVidia driver I have. Any other ideas?

#4 vic243

vic243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

...any other ideas? :huh:

#5 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Hello everyone - new to the forums so please be gentle :huh:

I recently upgraded to Win7 Ultimate edition and most everything runs well, however I keep experiencing random computer freezes. Sometimes I am online and the system will freeze, however most of the time it freezes after I start a game. This doesn't happen all the time but a good 8 out of 10 times after I start my computer after being off for a couple of hours or more. Usually after a restart/shutdown the system works just fine and doesn't freeze until the next time when I start the computer again after letting "rest".

I have searched online for some possible solutions but nothing leads me to find the cause. I've checked event viewer and I see some Hard Disk errors and a couple of Service errors (lirsgt and atksgt) but I have no clue as to what application these 2 services are related to so I can't reinstall. In short, I am lost, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Haven't posted any logs until I am asked to do so to avoid spam.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!!! :huh:

Hi ,did you try checking your hard drive for errors yet ,open your start menu,click on computer,right click on the hard drive you want to check(if you have more than one)click on properties,than click on tools ,at the top click on check now,in the window that opens check both boxes and click on start,windows can't check your drive while your using windows,so it will ask if you want to check for errors next time you start your computer,click on "Schedule disk check",then close all your programs and windows and restart your computer,chkdsk will run before Windows starts let it complete all five stages then Windows will start,if you have any corrupt files,or bad sectors it should repair them, cheers

#6 vic243

vic243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

I think that did it sleepwalker, thank you very much for the help!. So far my computer hasn't froze or crashed for solid 5 hours...let's hope it stays like that!!

#7 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

Hope that solved your problem nothing more annoying,than random freeze ups. Sometimes that's caused by trying to run games that your computer can't run properly or a sign of age,it don't hurt to run chkdsk every once and a while .Usually if there's corrupt files your machine will tell you to run a Diskcheck,well good computing,cheers :huh:

#8 vic243

vic243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

Well sleepwalker, I may have spoken to soon. Computer is freezing again after a couple of days of peace, so back to the drawing board. Some errors I see before the freezes:

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 1/17/2010 10:05:49 AM
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Vic-PC
Description:
The lirsgt service failed to start due to the following error:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-17T18:05:49.854800000Z" />
<EventRecordID>41526</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="472" ThreadID="476" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Vic-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">lirsgt</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%577</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

or

Log Name: System
Source: volsnap
Date: 1/17/2010 9:03:18 AM
Event ID: 14
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Vic-PC
Description:
The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="volsnap" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49158">14</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-17T17:03:18.932800000Z" />
<EventRecordID>41449</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Vic-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1</Data>
<Data>C:</Data>
<Data>C:</Data>
<Binary>0000000003003000000000000E0006C00B000000B50000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Im not sure if the freeze is related to these errors or not but figure I mention them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users