Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wtf, comp stops working outta no where?!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chrisgritz

chrisgritz

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

Well i was playing WoW, then it started to get laggy, so i decided i wanted to restart the computer, but i was impatient because my teammates were waiting for me to restart, so i hold the power button on the comp till it shuts off for a quicker restart, then when i try to turn on the comp, it cuts on but the monitor doesnt get signal, i open the comp and i notice the fan turns on but then it stops working i flick it and it runs for a sec but slowly then it stops. I took out the RAM and CMOS... restarted comp.. no beeps.... im guessing motherboard fried? i even tried to reset CMOS by switching the little pins and by doing that i know that the computer isnt supposed to turn on but it did... so is my MB fried or is there something that i dont know about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

Start with the power supply. Try a known good one from a buddies computer. There allot cheaper to replace then the motherboard. If the power supply checks out I would try a different video Source (onboard, a diff card) if all that checks out then order a new MB. They fans that stop running are they case fans or CPU fans (what I am wondering is if they are speed controlled and slowdown or stop after the initial POST then speed up as necessary)?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

if it was the fan on your videocard, that most likely needs replaced. if it was your cpu fan, then thats not a good sign. if it was your case fan, its not a huge worry. if its your power supply fan, you need a new power supply for sure so replace that asap before trying anything else.

unplug all unneccesary devices so u just have your mobo, cpu, ram, video, and power supply to worry about. if it still won't post, then u have narrowed it down a bit. if u have 2 sticks of ram, take one out and try it. if that doesn't work, take that stick out and try the other one. if neither work, its probably not a ram problem.

try a different power supply like the poster above said. then try another video card. make sure you only swap out 1 thing at a time though, to identify the problem hardware. if none of these swaps work, its most likely time for a new mobo and/or cpu.

Heres another question too. Is there a light on the front of the tower, and does it turn off at the same time as when the fan stops?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users