Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Vista Home Premium With Original DVD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aw9018

aw9018

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:05 PM

My daughter has a Dell Inspiron 531s desktop with the above OS and wants me to do a clean install preferably without the Dell stuff and some apps she never uses. All the data she cares about has been backed up. We have the original reinstalllation DVD for the OS, the drivers and utilities as well as the CDs for MS Office. There appears to be a "D" drive labeled "Recovery" which I assume is the Dell Recovery Partition. It consists of 9.9gb of which 5.7gb is full. I notice that the Dell support site says this should not be deleted or modified. My daughter wants to have as much HD space as possible available after reinstalling the OS. Since we have all the original DVDs and CDs is there any harm in deleting the recovery partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:14 AM

Never delete the Recovery Partition, you can shrink it using Disk Management (Start/Run/diskmgmt.msc).

Just use the Programs and Features (Add Remove Programs) utility in Control Panel to get rid of Dell junk.

Also install and run CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users