Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to create new partition to load WinXP Home Setup?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

Final word UGHITWONTWORK.. Your unpartitioned space is 7 Mb, Windows needs at least 500 Mb, I think your are confusin the unpartitioned space with the partition above which is something called eisa partition, this is a factory restore partition which is quite complicated to mount, in other words your BIOS will not let you install anything on this partition.

Final word UGHITWONTWORK.. Your unpartitioned space is 7 Mb, Windows needs at least 500 Mb, I think your are confusin the unpartitioned space with the partition above which is something called eisa partition, this is a factory restore partition which is quite complicated to mount, in other words your BIOS will not let you install anything on this partition.

longtooth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

longtooth

#18 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

OK, I've found a reasonable explanation.

Taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788:

Windows XP preinstalled

If Windows XP was preinstalled on your computer, view the following article before you continue with reinstallation: 312369 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312369/ ) You may lose data or program settings after reinstalling, repairing, or upgrading Windows XP
Note If Windows XP was preinstalled on your computer, you may not have the Repair option that you may require during the reinstallation process. Contact your computer manufacturer to make sure that you have the installation CD for a repair install.

Your alternatives seem to be...do as was suggested by Longtooth...do a clean install on your current hard drive, after deleting the current partition...pursue CDs from HP/Compaq for your system that might facilitate a repair install, if such exist.

I've never run into this situation and I apologize for not understanding. All of my systems are either custom-built or they are systems which I immediately deleted everything that came installed and then installed one of my legal versions of XP Home.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users