Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to create new partition to load WinXP Home Setup?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 UghItWontLaunch

UghItWontLaunch

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

After removing malware, my AV software removed lsass.exe which no longer allows me to have a normal boot. I've been working with Buckeye Sam and he directed me here for further help. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273566-75.html

I am trying to install Windows XP Home Edition and the message I am receiving is that I am missing the System registry.

This is where we left off:

So in the Windows XP Home Edition Setup screen, I used the down arrow to select the "unpartitioned space". When I typed C (to create a partition in the unpartitioned space) I was taken to a new screen which read:

The unpartitioned space you selected is reserved for Windows XP partitioning information. To create a new partition, go back to the previous screen, and then select a different unpartitioned space.

At that point, the only option is Enter = continue (which takes me back to the last screen). I might add, there is no other unpartitioned space. They are, again, listed as follows:

H: Partition1 (Presario_RP) [FAT32] 6667MB
C: Partition2 (Presario) [NTFS] 145951MB
Unpartitioned space 7MB

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

OK, you want to attempt a repair install...using a borrowed XP CD.

First question...what is printed on this XP CD?

Second question...what XP SP is currently installed on your system? SP1...SP2...SP3?

To do a repair install...a user must have a MS Genuine XP CD that has the same basic files as is reflected on the system. If the system has SP3 installed, the CD must include SP3 in the files contained. If it doesn't, the result will be a clean install of XP which will wipe out the existing install.

Sounds to me as if you have a CD that does not match your install....but that can be corrected.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Once you update the CD to reflect SP3...you will get the repair option and you can then attempt a repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#3 UghItWontLaunch

UghItWontLaunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

Hi Louis!

1) A friend burned a copy of their original WinXP Home Cd for me and they wrote on the disk that it has all the SP3 updates. Apparently not. 2) Currently installed is SP3.

I will let you know when I have created the bootable CD and if there are any issues from that point.

Thanks!

#4 UghItWontLaunch

UghItWontLaunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:30 AM

Ok, so I slipstreamed Windows to make a bootable CD. Everything went fine...put the new CD into the computer and I am getting the same message:

The unpartitioned space you selected is reserved for Windows XP partitioning information. To create a new partition, go back to the previous screen, and then select a different unpartitioned space.

At that point, the only option is Enter = continue (which takes me back to the last screen). I might add, there is no other unpartitioned space. They are, again, listed as follows:

H: Partition1 (Presario_RP) [FAT32] 6667MB
C: Partition2 (Presario) [NTFS] 145951MB
Unpartitioned space 7MB

I must be doing something wrong to go through all of that only to get the same exact output. Hopefully you can help me identify what I might be doing wrong. Thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

You followed the steps suggested in the link on how to do a repair install?

If you did and you selected the correct partition (the XP partition)...I cannot explain your result.

Louis

#6 UghItWontLaunch

UghItWontLaunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Pardon my ignorance...What is the XP partition?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:41 AM

The partition on which XP is installed...normally, C:.

This is all explained, I believe, in the link previously provided.

Louis

#8 UghItWontLaunch

UghItWontLaunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

I apologize if I appear "unread" to you. I am simply confusing what I have already spoken about to you and to the last two people that helped me. I have read that link at least three times and obviously I am here because I am a novice in this regard and need your help. I assure you I am doing the best I can.

In my last topic link I mentioned that when I type enter on the XP partition I get this message: "You chose to install Windows XP on a partition that contains another operating system. Installing Windows XP on this partition might cause the other operating system to function properly. to continue Setup using this partition, press C. To select a different partition, press ESC."

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

I may be dense :thumbsup: ...but it seems that your reply doesn't answer my question.

Did you follow the instructions specified for doing a repair install of XP? Just "yes" or "no", please.

Louis

#10 UghItWontLaunch

UghItWontLaunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

I don't believe every question is a simple yes or no. Did I read and follow the instructions to the best of my ability? Yes...BUT the prompts in the instructions are not what appear on my computer. So for that I say no.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

At what point...of the instructions provided...does the variance occur?

Something is not happening as it should and the answer can help narrow down the possibilities?

Louis

#12 UghItWontLaunch

UghItWontLaunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

First, the only way to get TO the WinXP Setup screen is to "press any key to boot from CD". Otherwise, it just keeps telling me to type R to repair and when I do, the same screen comes up telling me to type R to repair.

4.Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations. 5.Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!

There is no R to start the repair, only Enter, C or D. Having read Warning #2, I understand the possibility of losing all files. In speaking to Buckeye Sam, he thought I might be able to create a partition in the unpartitioned space. I guess that is where I am at this point.

#13 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

You can not create a new partition on the XP installation partition without erasing the current XP operating system!!!!! in simple terms you need a separate hard drive for dual boot or you need to do a 'clean install' and create a partition before XP is installed

Longtooth Pc solutions

longtooth

#14 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

Just looked at your post again and your 'H' drive is an eisa partition. YOU selected your C:/ drive to install a dual system. C:/ is where XP is Installed and your Presario_ RP is a factory restore partition. This partition is not in an activated state. here is what to do

1. boot your system with the XP disc and 'Boot from CD'
2. Let Windows Load all the drivers and then selet the repair option
3. once you have continued and windows has chekced your system it will open a cmd and ask you to coose a partition to repair. You now have 2 options you can mark the presario_RP as active or continue with the repair, i suggest you continue with repair as this will leave all your files in tact ans restore windows as you left of... Here is how to do so

4 You should only have 1 partiton to select ans this will be youe C:/ partition so select that (0 or 1)
it should say something like this now C:/ Windows

5. Type exactly what you see.................. chkdsk /r

this will now check and repair all missimg and corrupt files. Thios could take up to an hour so be patiant

When it is finished simply type exit and enter, and re-boot...

Longtooth Pc Solutions

longtooth

#15 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

You have to select the C:/ drive to repair the windows operating system.... You have effectively 'lost all your files anyway' as you do not have access to them, trying to repair windows will not overwrite or erase any of your files it will only attempt to repair windows.

So when you boot from the XP disc choose repair and select your C:/ drive as that is where Windows is installed. I reiterate you will not loose any of your files as long a you DON'T do a fresy install e.g if the installation disk askes you to format the C:/ partition DON'T you have selected the wrong option. You need to repair the C:/ drive

Longtooth Pc solutions

longtooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users