Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LazyMan826

LazyMan826

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

I want to run other programs to check for viruses, like spybot, but how do I turn off the automatic scanning thing Norton does?
With AVG it was called the resident shield and I knew how to turn it off but I am not sure with Norton Internet Security since it is on a new laptop I just got and already installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

From your start menu, open Control Panel.
Once Control Panel opens, click on Scheduled Tasks.

Find the entry for Norton scanning, right click it and choose Delete.

#3 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

It looks like I have no tasks going...but I thought norton was just running automatically in the background by itself so I would have to go into norton to disable it.

Does that make sense?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

Just to make sure we are on the same page:

Are you referring to the full system virus scan which automatically starts at a pre-defined time?

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hi LazyMan826,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Which Norton product and version do you have installed? Please let me know.

The real-time scanning engine in Norton products is called "Auto-Protect" and it is the most important protection module, as it also controls SONAR, which is the behavior-based detection engine. Theses features proactively protect your computer from threats by automatically checking every file as it is being accessed or written to disk. If you are using a 2009-2010 Norton product, all scans are done in the background whenever your computer is Idle.

Since SbyBot is an on-demand scanner, you can leave the Norton Auto-Protect and other features turned "On". However, the "TeaTimer" and "SD Helper functions in SpyBot must be disabled so that they do not cause conflicts with Norton. You can disable these functions in SpyBot by changing the Mode to "Advanced" and then disabling these features under the Tools menu on the left side.

Please also be aware that you should never have more than one active real-time security software application running, as it can cause conflicts and leave your computer more vulnerable to threats.

Thank you,
Mike

I want to run other programs to check for viruses, like spybot, but how do I turn off the automatic scanning thing Norton does?
With AVG it was called the resident shield and I knew how to turn it off but I am not sure with Norton Internet Security since it is on a new laptop I just got and already installed.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users