Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ivan_351/Split topic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ivan_351

ivan_351

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hi , came across this old thread via a yahoo search for some guidance "HELP!!!! " to try and fix the problem.

I had visited the local PC_Shop which I had purchased 99% of all my hardware/software and used their services to repair any issue that I had in the past. But not being aware the business had changed hands in the last few months.

First I had some backup battery issue problem which I had the shop replace the internal backup battery. This was the first time I utilize the new shop owners services.

The laptop worked fine for a few months until another problem appeared this is " System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys " I went back to the shop again for assistance and the shop owner seems to insist its a hard drive problem and constantly enforcing I'm going to need my hard drive replaced.

I explained to him a message of " System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys" appears on the screen but he wouldn't listen to me nor did he actaully try and startup the laptop, still pushing for a hard drive replacement and further more trying to convince me to buying a new laptop because of, "the age of my unit was well outdate " his exact words.]

I did get along much better with the previous owners of the business who did have the technicians onsite to do the repairs and they were very helpful.

The new owner to my understanding after I quizzed him doesn't do any repairs in house is all out sourced contract technicians that he uses.

That's fine but I don't want to buy a new hard drive when it doesn't seem to be the problem nor do I want to out lay several thousands dollars for a new late model laptop.

Unfortunately I haven't made a backup disc of any of my work on the laptop and can not access it. instead of starting up another thread I thought I would just continue with this one. He has lost me as a customer altogether now.

I have the same issue with one of my laptops " Toshiba , Satelite A20 system "

I can not start it in safe_mode "F8" either just reverts back to the same message displayed on the screen as I have listed below.

Is there any other method that I can fix this " System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys" issue without the original discs it is asking me to insert into the CD_ROM and press "r"????

I have XP Windows system on it , and I don't have the original discs that the message is asking me to install into the CD_ROM and select "
r ". I have search high and low for my original discs to no avail.

The actual message that is displayed on the screen is

" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt; System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom.
Select ' r ' at the first screen to start repair."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Edited by ivan_351, 05 January 2010 - 07:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ivan_351

ivan_351
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:16 PM

Hi

The moderator has split my post to a actual thread , thankyou for that

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

First see if you can backup your data with this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 ivan_351

ivan_351
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:27 AM

Hi Budapest , will give this a try and thank you , I am presently downloading Ubuntu and will burn a Ubuntu CD , fingers crossed and hopefully I can at least save my data of the laptop with this method. 23% download of Ubuntu is crunching away slowly.

Just curious here if anyone has done it or knows if it is possible???? Since i Don't have my originals copy of the windows CD that was issued with my laptop can I download another XP windows CD , example borrow from a friend who has a XP-windows CD installer?????

Just exploring other ideas?

cheers

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:31 AM

You can try a repair install of Windows. You can borrow a CD from a friend to try this. You just need the same disk as what you have installed on your computer (Home or Pro).

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

<>

In my limited experience...that would have probably been my diagnosis as well. Within XP, problems noted as ntfs.sys problems...may, in fact, be hard drive problems or problems with the actual NTFS file system on which XP resides. To confirm the status of the hard drive, I would have run a diagnostic (from the hard drive manufacturer's website) on the drive. You don't indicate if this was done or not.

As for attempting a repair install...you need an XP disk to do such...and a valid license to install XP.

You can run a diagnostic yourself on the hard drive, after backing up your system as suggested by Budapest. That will give you a clear indication of whether the drive needs to be replaced or not.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

System manufacturer and model...for the system referenced in the first part of your post?

Louis

#7 ivan_351

ivan_351
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hi , I tried a friends registered Window XP Pro on the weekend which failed miserably so back to square one.

Also tried to backup files by downloading " Ubuntu Live " but I run out of memory space which failed miserably also back to square one.

Hi Budapest , "Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer" is a 7 hour download , I'm presently tiding up this laptop which I'm using to make space for the size of Ubuntu fingers crossed.

hi hamluis, "To confirm the status of the hard drive, I would have run a diagnostic (from the hard drive manufacturer's website) on the drive. You don't indicate if this was done or not."

No I haven't run a diagnostic hard drive.

"As for attempting a repair install...you need an XP disk to do such...and a valid license to install XP."

The blue screen that my Laptop is stuck in is requesting the disc, that is why i thought follow the screen prompts. This is very frustrating as I'm still searching for my original discs that come with my laptop many years ago.

My question is is there any other way of fixing this issue without losing my data of my laptop?

I really appreciate all the input/help you people have given. It is really frustrating for me as I'm no computer wizard. Thank you for your patients and perseverance

All this reading I feel like I'm back at high school

cheers

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

You can move your data files...to a different system or drive...by removing the hard drive and temporarily attaching it as a secondary drive to the different system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users