Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving harddrives within a computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 winker12

winker12

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

Feel free to move this if in the wrong section. About a year ago I thought my harddrive was going bad and I bought a replacement. After installing the new hd, I put the old one in as the e drive and it worked so I left it there. Now my c drive has a malware/virus problem and won't boot up.
I just connected the old drive as the c and it works fine. I plan on putting the newer c drive that won't boot as the e drive to see if I can access it to either try and get rid of the problem or transfer any files. If I can't remove the problem, I plan to reformat it and start all over. Does this sound like it will work or are there any other ideas out there? I posted in the virus forum about the original problem. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

I have checked your other threads and Elsie has replied in one of them. Its not a good Idea to make changes to your computer while a HJT team member is helping you it makes their job VERY difficult. If you choose to move the hard drive please post in your other topics that the problem is being solved by format and re-install. Be aware though even if you move the "infected" drive to another position in the computer there is still a chance it could re-infect the main Partition. Your best options are 1. follow through with the HJT team. 2. Swap HDD again and move all of your important non Os dependant files to the non infected drive (IE: music, pictures, documents etc). Use Dban boot and nuke to format the infected drive and re-install windows. Lastly transfer the files back to the main partition and scann or Nuke the other HDD. If you have a Rootkit infection it is possible you will loose some of your information it depends on how bad the infection is.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 winker12

winker12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:11 AM

Thanks. I sent a reply to the original thread.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

Ok I will have this thread temporarily locked untill Elsie clears you in the Am I Infected forums. If you wish to have this thread re-opened please send me a PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users