Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get Windows to recognize the iPod?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 csigsrfan

csigsrfan

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

When I connected an iPod to a USB port I get a message that says "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." I have tried four different USB port. I have tried a different USB cable. I have rest the iPod 5 times. My computer is a Windows XP SP 2. I uninstalled iTunes 7.4 and installed iTunes 9. I have uninstalled all the USB Roots hubs and let Windows reinstall them. I have charged the iPod using a USB wall charge. The iPod charged and it works. The iPod is format for Windows. The iPod is used.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

I don't know what others might say, but as a suggestion

uninstall iTunes, Upgrade to WinXP SP3, install current iTunes from apple, THEN connect your iPod

if you are trying to connect the iPod to your PC, and expecting it to show as a USB Mass Storage Device, I don't believe it will work that way

least my iTouch doesnt work that way, but that is a different product...

also, might upgrade your current USB ports, I suggest goin to 2.0 through the expantion slot in the back of the PC if applicable

Hope ths helps in some way, good luck

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

I had a similar problem and it had to do with there being a different itunes library on the ipod than in itunes. I hope that helps; I ended up uninstalling the ipod in the device manager and setting windows update to automatically find drivers and then scanned for new hardware and microsoft downloaded it for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users