Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless internet connection problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adsfgk

adsfgk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

I've posted this topic on many other forums. I've been trying to fix this for a few days now and I'm really not sure what to do next.

I have a desktop (PC running windows XP) and a laptop (Macbook running 10.6) both connected to a wireless network which I've had working just fine for a year or so. Suddenly, I've been having issues with my internet connection dropping out intermittently on both my desktop and laptop. My router is a netgear WPN824 v2 and my modem is a webstar DPX2203 series.

At first I thought it was an issue with my modem since the "send" light on it goes on and off every so often. I called the cable company and they told me that there are no problems with the modem that they can see. I also tried connecting my desktop directly to the modem without going through the router and the internet on my desktop seemed to work just fine (obviously, there's no wireless internet when I connect this way, so my laptop is left without any connection). So, I don't think it's a modem problem.

It might be a problem with my router, but I'm doubting this more and more. I reset my router to factory settings and rebuilt my home wireless network, which didn't seem to work. I was told that my router could be dying, but I'm not sure of that because when I turn off my desktop computer (still connected through the router), the wireless network works on my laptop and I can use the internet on it just fine. When I turn my desktop on, however, the internet on both my desktop and my laptop will start to drop out again.

I'm not really sure why having my desktop on causes an intermittent drop out in internet connection whereas having it off causes the wireless internet connection to work just fine on my laptop. It tells me that there's likely an issue with my desktop and not the router or modem, but I'm really not sure what it is or how I can figure it out. I did recently clean out some malware on my desktop (it's clean right now as far as I know), and I think that this may be related to the issue, but, again, I'm not sure how.

Here is some additional information (e.g. results of an ipconfig /all and a hijackthis log) at my posting over here: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/89129...et-problem.html

Any help on this (frustrating) issue would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

Well you just started your post with them and you posted a HijackThis log. Its not that I won't help, I just hate when people post on 14 different forums(not that you did). You'll be told to do the same stuff 14 times, wasting your and our time. Give them a chance to help. You've gotten off to a great start with them.

From my very limited knowledge of HijackThis, you have some nasties. But I'm not sure they are causing the issues you are having.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users