Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Systems and a Troublesome Monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mistercmills

mistercmills

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hello, allow me first to introduce myself by saying that I am (I believe I am) fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers, and I have quite a bit of experience. I came by this forum by chance by typing "Computer Forum" into Google, with this particular website coming up within the top 3 results. I usually do the same for all of my computer related issues, and for the most part that solves my issues. But it's only recently I've had the need to join a community to ask for assistance.

That said, here is the issue that has left me weeping in a corner. For Christmas, I happened to come across a spectacular new monitor, a View Sonic VX2233wm 1080p LCD Monitor. See here. This monitor contains two ports, RGB Analog and DVI-D Single. Currently the RGB is what is connecting the monitor to my machine, and the DVI-D is open for input. Ideally this is the port I would like to hook up my video games systems to, mainly the Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii. I have a universal Component cable, See here, so naturally I would like to use this. What does this mean, you may be asking. Well, what I have been searching for is a DVI-D male to Component female adapter, switch, or cord.

Side Note: Last week I purchased a DVI-I to Component adapter, See here, and it arrived today. Thinking this journey was over, I rejoiced and attempted to hook it up. If you recall, I mentioned the monitor had a DVI-D Single port, and of course this adapter was for DVI-I. Well, it was only about 3 hours ago I realized that there was more than one DVI port, and that they were not interchangeable.

To reiterate, I am searching for is a DVI-D male to Component female adapter, switch, or cord, ideally. I am willing to listen to potential other solutions to my issue.

What I have at my disposal:
-DVI-D Single port on my monitor
-RGB Analog port on my monitor
-DVI-D Single male to DVI-D Single male cord
-RGB Analog male to RGB Analog male cord
-DVI-I male to Component female adapter
-Universal gaming Component cable
-Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii gaming systems

Other solutions I have:
1. The most viable solution I have explored should the DVI-D Single to Component option be unavailable is to use a DVI-D Single male to DVI-I female cable, and connect that to my DVI-I male to Component female adapter. Although I do not particularly like this option.

2. Purchase a DVI-D Single to HDMI adapter, as well as a Universal HDMI cable for my gaming systems. I personally like this solution the best, however I am encountering pretty much the same issues. That being, cannot find a DVI-D to HDMI adapter. But there are plenty of DVI-I available.

3. Purchase a RGB Analog to Component or HDMI adapter. The only issue with this I am uncertain as to what would happen to the quality of the video. I imagine it would suffer a bit, which would make this a last ditch resort. Personally I'd see myself more likely to purchase the ATI TV Wonder 650 pci Tuner Card.

With that said, ideally I'd like to find a DVI-D Single to Component adapter, but if that is not possible, I'd like to hear your opinions.

I'd like to thank you for reading my story, and I would greatly appreciate any information you may offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

There is no such thing as a component to DVI cable. Component is analog, DVI is digital. There are analog-digital converters but pic quality suffers.

Here is an adapter, will it work? They come with most modern video cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-015-_-Product

Edited by dpunisher, 06 January 2010 - 11:06 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 mistercmills

mistercmills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

So in other words, my assumption that I should go with the DVI-D to HDMI adapter is the best choice.

I managed to get my hands on a DVI-D to DVI-I adapter, which connects to my DVI-I to Component adapter, which I plugged my universal component cable into, but it could not read the signal.

Thank you for the information.

EDIT:

Posted Image

The above is my connection. The light adapter, which is the adapter that is plugged into my monitors DVI-I slot, is the DVI-D to DVI-I adapter. The black adapter is the DVI-I to Component adapter. The cable is the universal component cable. And the system the cable is plugged into at the moment is the Wii.

I am wondering why it is this is not working. My theory is simply that adapters plugged into adapters are usually doomed to fail, and that is why. I understand plugging component into DVI isn't ideal, but it is still possible. I will probably switch to HDMI, provided HDMI can be used with PS2 and Wii, in addition to the 360 and PS3.

Edited by mistercmills, 08 January 2010 - 06:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users