Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD+-RW drive won't read DVD-RW CD?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 youthedog4

youthedog4

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Alright, So I have a Dell Dimension E521 with a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A SCSI Cdrom and I have just bought these memorex DVD-RW 4X 4.7GB blank dvds so I could put an OS .iso file on them so I could install it on my computer. Only problem is, Whenever I insert the disc, its sounds like it is being read then I hear a noise and it restarts. Whenever I right-click or click on the Icon in "computer", it freezes Windows Explorer and I have to eject the disc.

EDIT: I have found out that my DVD drive is compatible with them.

Edited by youthedog4, 05 January 2010 - 03:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

The question becomes...did you burn the DVD properly?

If it's not bootable...it cannot be expected to run and install anything. The system will just keep trying to read it and then give up.

Louis

#3 youthedog4

youthedog4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

I have just opened these DVDs and they are blank. I am trying to use ISO Burner and it doesn't detect a CD in my DVD drive when I have one in.
EDIT: Oh and I meant when I put the disc in, before I even burn it, windows explorer freezes etc.

Edited by youthedog4, 05 January 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

<<...when I put the disc in, before I even burn it, windows explorer freezes etc.>>

I would take a look in Event Viewer, looking for any errors that occurred in the same approximate timeframe you encountered the freezing.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

If you double-click on a given line item for an error in EV, it will give you the details.

If such exist, post them here...someone may be able to sort it out.

As for burning the .iso file to CD...try Active@ Iso Burner, http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm. So easy that even I can do it :thumbsup:.

Reference for various programs: How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Louis

#5 Ram53

Ram53

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

FYI, I have the TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H552D cd rom and it will not read a DVD-R or a CD-R disc, but works normally with DVD+R and CD+R discs. Have not yet been able to figure this out. Have searched the web for three days and havent found a solution.

#6 youthedog4

youthedog4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Wow, Louis, Event Viewer was disabled for me and somehow was corrupted so I can't start it anymore. I got some DVD+R blanks and are trying them right now.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

Running chkdsk /r from the command prompt or Run...should fix the Event Viewer situation.

Louis

#8 youthedog4

youthedog4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

Running chkdsk /r from the command prompt or Run...should fix the Event Viewer situation.

Louis

alright, I'll try that right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users