Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezing / Noises

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Raysumire

Raysumire

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

I was having problems with my computer, mainly it was random freezing, and once I did a hard reboot, everything would come back as normal. If it froze during internet explorer, after the reboot i would connect again and it would have no memory of me being on the site I was at the time of freezing. So I did a system restore, figured why not, my roomate before he left had put a bunch of garbage on here taking up space and I felt this would be an easy fix.

After System Restore, I would try to reinstall some of my games, mainly World Of Warcraft. It goes on for a bit, then the screen will freeze, but the mouse and buttons screen (like start) show as being clickabe, then I click or try to bring up task manager, then everything freezes, but i can still move the mouse. I noticed that most times, the time will stay at like 2:30 when its 2:35 and thats how i know the installation would not work. There was another time where the time stopped at 1:32pm and the game fully installed, and then brought up the connect to play thing that appears afterwards.

The time was still at 1:32pm, but it was 2:10pm and after it froze i had to hard reboot, now I figured since the installation had gone all the way through, the game would be installed. It showed it as being on the programs menu, but all the button links had the image next to them that wasnt the image it was suppose to be, like the game icon etc. And upon clicking them it doesnt recognize them or doesnt start. When the computer freezes it will sometimes make a loud DunDunDunDunDun kinda sound, or if i try to click things again after the buttons show as not being clickable it makes a loud beeping noise.

I tried to install in safe mode, did not finish the installation in safe mode, I had forgotten to send some things out that needed to be sent blah blah blah. I figured id post to see if anyone had a clue to what the problem may be, trying again myself.

It seems to be working fine now, it seems the problem happens randomly when i am on a site with videos or when im installing something thats big in size.

Thank you in advance.

System Specs:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Ver 2002
SP 3

Computer Specs"
Promagix E2010
Intel® Core™2 CPU
6400 @ 2.13GHz
2.13Ghz, 0.98GB of Ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:50 PM

FWIW: Chances are...that everytime a user does a hard reboot, various files become damaged/corrupted. My response to this is to ensure that I run the chkdsk /r command on the system partition/drive once I do boot into XP.

1GB of RAM...may not be enough for times when the system is stressed. Examples would be gaming, running applications such as MS Office, graphics editing, video editing, etc.

System freezes are often the result of air circulation/overheating issues.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

<<I noticed that most times, the time will stay at like 2:30 when its 2:35 and thats how i know the installation would not work.>>

If you are talking about the system clock (not sure, I don't game)...then you probably need to consider replacing the CMOS battery in your system.

Louis

#3 Raysumire

Raysumire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:40 AM

Thank you for responding!!

I had left the computer on to install my game while in safe mode,and it installed 100% with no freeze ups at all.

But was once again met with the same problem I had describe when I was not in safe mode.

I ran the chkdsk /r it all loaded up 100%, however, when i tried to load the user account it froze and stayed for about 20 minutes before I did a hard reboot.

I dont believe it could be a ram problem, but im only basing that on the fact that it was able to run for a good 3-4 years wihout any kind of problem such as the one I am having now.

I also had cleaned out the computer in the process you had posted, still met with no success.

I noticed while in safe mode for the installation, it had kept perfect time for the 6-7 hours i had left it running. Would a dying cmos battery be able to keep time for that long? Considering that about 2 minutes after i start up normal mode it would stop and signal that the computer would be freezing no matter what i did. Oh and yes it was the system clock.

I can only guess that because it was able to do in safe mode, what it couldnt do in normal the conflict might lie somewhere else. Though I can not be any means be 100% sure or even 50% for that matter.

Please advise =X

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

At this time, I can't add any suggestions re your situation.

<>

The nature of what we call "the universe" is change. What happened yesterday is not guaranteed at all to happen again ever. The components in a computer system...are governed by this idea, just as we are.

Louis

The one thing which may help...is to look in Event Viewer (after reading the instructions for how to use it) and see if there are any errors which may help understand what is going on.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2010 - 10:06 AM.

#5 Raysumire

Raysumire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

Thanks again for another response!!

Upon looking through event viewer i found the following errors.

Error 1/5/2010 10:05:08 PM DCOM None 10005 SYSTEM LIGHTNING
Error 1/5/2010 6:17:33 PM DCOM None 10005 Administrator LIGHTNING

Error 1/5/2010 3:05:36 PM Service Control Manager None 7026 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/5/2010 3:05:36 PM Service Control Manager None 7001 N/A LIGHTNING

Error 1/5/2010 3:04:22 PM DCOM None 10005 SYSTEM LIGHTNING
Information 1/5/2010 3:03:40 PM HECI None 2 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/5/2010 3:04:09 PM DCOM None 10005 Administrator LIGHTNING

Error 1/5/2010 2:01:06 PM DCOM None 10005 SYSTEM LIGHTNING
Error 1/5/2010 2:01:00 PM DCOM None 10005 Administrator LIGHTNING
Error 1/5/2010 1:43:30 PM DCOM None 10005 Administrator LIGHTNING
Error 1/5/2010 1:38:40 PM Service Control Manager None 7026 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/5/2010 1:38:40 PM Service Control Manager None 7001 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/5/2010 1:37:38 PM DCOM None 10005 SYSTEM LIGHTNING
Error 1/5/2010 1:37:34 PM DCOM None 10005 Administrator LIGHTNING

They all seem consistent with times at which i had expierenced the freezeout problem.

#6 Raysumire

Raysumire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

My apologies, I am unaware on how to edit a post.

Under details for one of the Service Control Manager Errors was the following list:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
Fips
intelppm
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
Tcpip

Aha...I see the edit button now...boy is my face red -_-

Edited by Raysumire, 06 January 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Double-click on one of the Service Control Manager errors with Event ID 7001 and then post the exact detail which comes up.

Event ID 10005 are usually status reports of some type. Again, double-click on one of those for DCOM and post the detail.

Louis

#8 Raysumire

Raysumire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

The 7001 Error Details:

The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD service which failed to start because of the following error:

The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:

So to the best of my knowledge, its a hardware problem this string of errors are reffering to.

The 10005 Error Details:

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

And i havent the slightest clue what this means, I would assume its to do with the errors in the 7001 string, then again I could be wrong and it could be completely unrelated lol.

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

Just a quick FYI...

The Windows Safe Mode is meant for diagnostic purposes and packs the bare minimum to work with. :thumbsup:

That said, trying to install advanced applications and games in the safe mode is NOT ADVISABLE.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 06 January 2010 - 06:41 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Well...my guess is that the "device" being referred to is your NIC.

I would uninstall the drivers for the network adapter, using Device Manager...then reboot and reinstall same. I would note the time that I did this...and then see if any errors appear in Event Viewer post driver reinstall or if the crashes occur again.

One possibility is that your NIC itself is dying.

I still have no clue re noises. The only two noises I can identify from a system have to do with failing fans or failing hard drives.

Louis

#11 Raysumire

Raysumire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

Everytime i try to uninstall the drivers, the device manager becomes non responsive and just hangs there, checked the event viewer and saw the following errors.

Warning 1/6/2010 8:07:10 PM Userenv None 1517 SYSTEM LIGHTNING
Error 1/6/2010 8:06:49 PM Application Hang (101) 1002 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/6/2010 8:05:38 PM Application Hang None 1001 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/6/2010 8:05:36 PM Application Hang (101) 1002 N/A LIGHTNING
Information 1/6/2010 7:57:25 PM SecurityCenter None 1800 N/A LIGHTNING
Information 1/6/2010 7:52:18 PM SecurityCenter None 1800 N/A LIGHTNING
Warning 1/6/2010 7:47:03 PM Userenv None 1517 SYSTEM LIGHTNING
Error 1/6/2010 7:46:49 PM Application Hang None 1001 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/6/2010 7:46:47 PM Application Hang (101) 1002 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/6/2010 7:42:12 PM Application Hang None 1001 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/6/2010 7:42:11 PM Application Hang (101) 1002 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/6/2010 7:41:43 PM Application Hang None 1001 N/A LIGHTNING
Error 1/6/2010 7:41:41 PM Application Hang (101) 1002 N/A LIGHTNING

Details for Event 1002
Hanging application mmc.exe, version 5.2.3790.4136, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Details for Event 1001
Fault bucket 502380885.

Is there any sure fire way to determine if it is the NIC causing the problem?

If it is the NIC that is dying, how would i go about replacing it, and where would I be able to find one compatible for my system?

Edited by Raysumire, 06 January 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on your system partition (C:)?

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system and the command will execute prior to booting into XP. After command is complete, system will boot into XP.

<<Is there any sure fire way to determine if it is the NIC causing the problem?>>

What I suggested...is as "sure fire" as anything that I know.

I find very few things "certain" when it comes to troubleshooting system problems/situations, my approach is to eliminate this and that from consideration. A system is complex, it uses a complex operating system to be useful...and programs are complex. There is interaction between all of those and a flaw or damage in one area can impact others.

And then there is malware...which makes the equation even more elaborate.

Working with computers is still an art, not a science...with much trial-and-error involved.

<<If it is the NIC that is dying, how would i go about replacing it, and where would I be able to find one compatible for my system?>>

Let's try the things I've already suggested...before we entertain that concept. I mention it because it's a possibility and onboard networking devices go bad. Same can probably be said for any other component but your errors point to networking.

Louis

#13 Raysumire

Raysumire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

I have run Chkdsk /r it will complete all 5 checks to 100% without any error display, but the screen for when i try to load my user account for XP stays at the "loading personal settings" and never loads, and then requires a hard reboot.

Yes, computers and their operating systems truly are complex, just when I think I have it done something pops up and changes the game entirely. Then again my expertise is more with cisco routers / routing xD so computer hardware and software still stumps me immensely -_-.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

Hmmm...the fact that the system freezes/hesitates at loading personal settings...could be interpreted as signs of a damaged profile.

That is...if that were the only symptom.

Looking back over all posts...I don't believe that there is a single problem with this system...but multiple problems. The noises you posted about indicate a hardware problem of some sort but...I have no idea what it might be without the system in front of me.

Even though chkdsk /r does complete...I would run the correct respective hard drive diagnostic. These are available at the respective websites for each major manufacturer of hard drives.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

In all honesty, if this system were in front of me...I would just wipe it and do a clean install, after saving what I considered valued data files.

That would eliminate the O/S and malware as possible suspects and I would then test the hardware as best as I can, if problems persisted. I would already have tested the hard drive.

That being said...I suggest that you create a new profile with admin privileges...and see if that profile experiences the same problems. That should either confirm/refute the suspicion of a damaged profile. If using the new profile exhibits the same symptoms as your current profile, then that eliminates the damaged profile theory.

Louis

#15 Raysumire

Raysumire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

Drives Memory Modules c,d
320.07 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
282.19 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON DVD SHD-16P1S [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD3200JS-60PDB0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, SMART Status: Healthy

I can only post half at a time, i didnt realize the time and need to head off, but figured this could rule out the harddrive being a problem, possibly? lol no clue xD

I ran another test, this time from the company that made the drive, and it passed the tests as well.

Ive tried to disable / uninstall the network adaptars in the device manager, but it still will not let me. System restore was used and I had made another account with the same settings as this, and the problem persists. Also, whenever i try to do a normal shutdown, it just hangs there and never turns off as well.

I tried to load my game and surprisingly it ran for a good 20 minutes before it froze up again.
Is there a diagnostics test I can download for free that would check other parts of the system that may cause the problem?

Edited by Raysumire, 08 January 2010 - 01:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users